Monday, July 5, 2021

Weekly Mileage #223 and Day Camp

Monday I woke up tired, but not exhausted, which was good. I really think that avoiding dehydration and overexposure to the sun helped a lot.

Sunshine and I worked on her Cyber chip for Scouts. She finally has her 4 months in a leadership position, so finishing off her Cyber chip and her Board of Review are all that keep her from Star rank.

I worked on more buckets.

Sunshine had Scouts at the park in the evening. She had her BOR and is now Star rank <finally>.

I happened to check the website of one of my waxed canvas sources and while last time I checked they were saying they'd be back in stock the end of July, they actually had some in stock now, but won't be restocked again till December. I bought a number of yards in various colors in hopes of not running out again.

Tuesday after the boys' music lessons we did a short hike. We had to be noisy because a bear had been sighted the day before, but honestly, that's not a problem when Ocean is around. Our music teacher is impressed with Ocean's hand-eye coordination and ability to play the first part of his first song (Twinkle Twinkle Little Star).

the matching crossed legs! 🤣

I worked some more on my buckets. There's a number of steps involved, and even doing them assembly line style takes awhile.

This week is testing week at karate. We all passed our side kick/ridge hand combos. Now we need to practice our Universal 3, which was taught a couple weeks before we started. If we practice and can do it satisfactorily, we can still pass it off, which puts us in a good position for our next belt (we're a couple weeks out from that).


Wednesday River and I spent the day at the lake for our Stake's 8-11 year old day camp. I went as an adult to help supervise, which was needed. We had a large group of 17 kids, with 4 adults to keep track of them. It was easy in the morning when they were hiking and after lunch, when they were rotating stations. The challenging part was when we hit the lake for swimming. There were several kids from new families, plus once they're wet or you're looking at the back of their heads, it was hard to keep track of them. We suggested brightly colored shirts with numbers on them for next year, which will make it much easier to keep track of them.

After our group went swimming, they got to do some kayaking as their final activity. River went out in a weird kayak and was having trouble with it. Since it was the last round, there was room for a couple adults to hop in kayaks, so I went out for a paddle. We did a mid-lake switch and he hopped in mine and I got in his. He had a much better time from there on out. I struggled even more than he had. It was very unstable and kept tipping from side to side. It ended up tipping me out, which is the first time I've ended up in the water in a really long time (since my kayaking class in college when we purposely tipped over so we could right ourselves again). I ended up getting towed back to shore by one of the other leaders, but she had a rough time of it. I had to swim the whole way while hanging onto the kayak. I couldn't walk because the muck on the bottom was so deep (and stinky). We finally made it to shore and  tried to move the kayak, but it was super heavy. We found a drain hole at one end, and tipped it on end to drain. It drained water for close to 10 minutes. Water just kept coming out. The interior of that kayak had to have been completely filled with water, which was why it was so heavy and so unstable. While a bit frustrating at the time, it does make for a good story to share. I rinsed off in the shower house, but still had crap stuck to me when I hopped in the shower when we got home.


Thursday I had my accountability call, then I worked on pockets before we went to karate (we went an extra session this week so we could work on our Universal 3 and get extra practice).

Friday I worked on pockets again before we went to karate. Sunshine and I got our stripes, Jeremy and the boys needed a bit more practice before they qualified for their stripes. Then it was back to working on pockets.

the boys like climbing the trees at our music teacher's house: they're much more climbable than our trees

Saturday was a sewing day. I finished 14 sets of small pockets, started 14 sets of large pockets as well as a couple more buckets. I cut the leather for the pockets, then folded the hems and pleats- all ready to start sewing on Monday.

Weekly Mileage 

Monday-                                                    1.5 hours outside
Tuesday-     .44 miles hiked                       1.0 hours outside
Wednesday-   3.50 miles hiked/walked     7.5 hours outside
       total- 3.94 miles             10.0 hours

2021 totals
151.5 outside hours
187.43 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment