Monday, May 27, 2019

Weekly Mileage #113 and Driveway Work

our driveway no longer looks like this

This week was a busy one. Monday was the last day of preschool for boys. They only went one morning a week, but it was a nice chunk of time for me to get stuff done. Errands, uninterrupted work time, whatever I needed to do I could do so much quicker by myself. The boys enjoyed it and Ocean will go back again in the fall, just on Monday mornings again. River will join Sunshine at our homeschool co-op.

Tuesday Ocean attended a nutrition and learning study with the neighbor boys. Basically they play all day and the students take salive samples (via a cord that the kids chew on) before they eat. There's five 3 year old boys in their study group, so they have their hands full. He also went Thursday and will go the next two Tuesdays.

I got my hair cut. I didn't wait quite as long as I did last time I got it cut, but it was definitely time. My hair was giving me headaches again, so it was time to cut and thin it. It really seems to do best at about shoulder length.

After we picked up Ocean from the nutrition study, we went to park day. We're averaging every other week, which is pretty doable. My goal is to be attending every week by the time school starts in the fall, and working up to it is much less daunting than trying to go every week after so long not attending.

Wednesday Sunshine had her pediatric endocrinology appointment. They ordered some bloodwork to check her thyroid and other things and some hand x-rays to see if her growth plates are still open. We're waiting on the results, but if they're all ok, then we'll go back in 6 months and re-evaluate. This may just be a case of Sunshine being a late bloomer. If her growth percentiles haven't improved in 6 months, then we'll start growth hormone treament. Really, it's about what we expected to happen.

We were supposed to have a Bobcat dropped off Wednesday afternoon or Thursday morning, but it wasn't delivered until after lunch Thursday. When we contacted them to find out what was the delay, they had us on the schedule for Friday morning. When I had talked to them to make the reservation, they had said it would be delivered Wednesday afternoon or Thursday morning. Friday was never mentioned. At least they got it delivered on Thursday and Mr M was able to get a couple hours of work in.

I'll do another post about the work we're doing on our driveway and yard, but the short version is that we're cleaning up the rest of the wood from the trees we cut down last year, moving the pile of mulch, clearing the center of the driveway where the big tree was, and clearing the carport area. There's a few smaller projects planned for the yard, as well. Once all the clearing and leveling is done, we'll spread more asphalt millings.

Friday was Ocean's last day of speech therapy for this school year. He'll start up again in the fall, but most likely will not actually need to continue at that time since he's made so much progress.

We spent the rest of the day working outside, Mr M moving mulch and logs and me doing some chainsawing. And of course we're doing this when it's in the high 80s/low 90s. We seem to have skipped spring again....

the boys have had so much fun playing on the pile of millings

Saturday morning our asphalt millings were delivered and we spent the day working outside again. Sunshine and Mr M spent almost the whole day digging the root ball out of the center of the driveway (it was way more stubborn than we'd anticipated) while I did more chainsawing and finally built the boxes for the raised garden beds that I bought the materials for a year ago.

I also started stripping our cast iron skillets (I've only been meaning to do that chore for the last three years), but didn't quite finish because they were in such bad condition. We didn't get the seasoning right when we bought them years and years ago, and they haven't improved with age. I'll share more on that once I'm done with them.

Sunday morning Ocean becaume the first of our children to puke on me during sacrament meeting. He may be the third child, but he likes to be a trailblazer. He'd eaten half a pan of jello for breakfast (before I got up) and apparently it didn't sit too well (whooda thunk?). I noticed his face turning red and cheeks puffing up and asked him if he was ok just as the puke made its appearance.

I grabbed him, managing to keep the puke on him and me, and ran for the bathroom. Thankfully, it was just jello and didn't smell too awful, since we had to wait around for 10 or so minutes while the sacrament was passed, so I could go back in and grab my bag so we could go home and get cleaned up and changed.

Just a few minutes before that bit of excitement I'd been released from the Primary presidency and sustained as YW president. If I'd stuck around for the rest of sacrament meeting, I'd have had the opportunity to speak, but I missed out since we didn't get back to church until the second hour was starting (benefits of living 12 minutes from church).

I've only been in YW one other time. I was the Beehive teacher for about a year when I was pregnant with Sunshine and the first few months after she was born. I'm looking forward to getting to know the YW better (and spending more time with Sunshine) and implementing the new program at the end of the year. I'm sure it will be handy not having any pre-conceived notions about how thing should be done or thoughts of "but we've always done it this way". I kind of feel like that is part of why I was called: to help implement the new program. Rather like I was called as RS president when our ward was formed to get things up and running, and once that was done, I was released (and relieved).

Minimal mileage this week. Early mornings for activities and such have played havoc with my workout schedule. The latter half of the week I opted to get yard work done rather than exercise since I only have so much energy and need to be careful about how I use it. We have a deadline for all our yard projects since we're only renting the Bobcat for a week, so that takes precedence right now.

Hauling wood, stacking wood, and chainsawing did give me a good workout, even if it didn't result in  a lot of mileage. I didn't have my Garmin on, so I'm just putting a mile down.

Sunshine has had fun driving the Bobcat and has done a good job digging out rocks and stumps and moving dirt around

Weekly Mileage
Saturday- 1.00 mile yard work
total- 1.00 miles

11 hikes towards #52hikechallenge
0 kayak miles towards #365milechallenge
52.26 outdoor foot miles towards #365milechallenge
15.87 indoor foot miles towards #365milechallenge
80.0 bike miles towards #365milechallenge
148.13 miles total

No comments:

Post a Comment