Monday, May 20, 2019

Weekly Mileage #112 and the Scout Camporee

foggy morning

Mr M picked up his CPAP Monday morning. It's taken a little time to get used to, but it hasn't been too bad. It does appear that he'll have to stay clean shaven as the CPAP doesn't stay in contact with his skin if his facial hair is too long.

Thursday Sunshine got two more baby teeth pulled. She has one baby tooth left, but it's loose and being pushed out, unlike the 11 total teeth she's had to have pulled over the last few years. We'll meet with the orthodontist in a month and see when she can get braces on and if she needs to have any of her adult teeth pulled (hopefully not).

Friday Sunshine and I went to a Scout Camporee a couple hours away. Saturday the Scouts worked on merit badges and they needed more female adults (two-deep leadership must include a female leader if there are girls present) for some of the merit badge classes. Sunshine decided to take photography, and they needed an adult female, so I volunteered to help with her class. I figured I might pick up some photography tips, and I think I'm a bit more clear on aperture and shutter speeds, so that's a win.

Friday night it rained, then lightning started moving in, so everyone had to go inside a nearby bingo hall. It was crowded and very noisy. Those kids had a lot of energy at 10pm. After the lightning moved on, we went back to our tents, but it rained for a good part of the night.

We woke up to a cool, foggy morning, though the fog burned off and it got really warm before the merit badge classes started.

demonstrating bouncing light off the face and how it reduces shadows

This was my first time camping since my narcolepsy diagnosis. I tried to replicate my sleep routine as best as possible, but my sleeping pad just wasn't as comfortable as our mattress at home.  I didn't sleep as well as I'd hoped, so apparently, a comfortable sleeping surface is an integral part of my sleep routine, not just my weighted blanket, frankincense, and 7 hours of sleep.

I woke up several times because I wasn't comfortable, but I woke up another time because I heard a train go by. A really loud train. I'm lucky I only heard it once- others heard it a lot more times throughout the night.

busy train tracks right next to our campsite

Despite not sleeping as well as I'd like, I actually didn't have any problems staying alert on the drive home that evening. I was snacking on mixed nuts most of the drive, but I also had some dark blue sunglasses on, and they seem to help eliminate eye fatigue, which in turn makes me feel less sleepy.

I also worked on some necklaces for the boys' preschool teachers and Ocean's speech therapist. This week is the last week of preschool and speech therapy, so I thought I'd make something for them. Hopefully, it's something they will actually use, and if not, at least it doesn't take up much space (that's the minimalist in me talking).


I tried etching a design on aluminum stamping blanks, but apparently, bare aluminum can't be etched by the GlowForge. So I ordered some anodized aluminum dog tag blanks and they worked out. The design isn't etched into the metal, though. It's just etched into the anodized aluminum coating, which is why they have to be anodized for this to work. I added a little crystal bead dangle for bling, and packaged it in a little box with this quote. Their name(s) were on the bottom line (covered by string in this pic).


No mileage this week. Too much going on, and I'm still trying to balance my schedule and my energy levels to allow me to exercise adequately.

Weekly Mileage
total- 0 miles

11 hikes towards #52hikechallenge
0 kayak miles towards #365milechallenge
51.26 outdoor foot miles towards #365milechallenge
15.87 indoor foot miles towards #365milechallenge
80.0 bike miles towards #365milechallenge
147.13 miles total

No comments:

Post a Comment