Monday, February 18, 2019

Weekly Mileage #99 and Running Again!


I forgot to mention last week that Sunshine gave her first talk in Sacrament meeting last Sunday. She'd already used up her free pass about 6 months earlier (an arrangement we made with the bishopric, with the understanding that she'd say yes the next time they asked her to give a talk), and despite her apprehensions about getting up in front of people (something she really, really dislikes), she did it.



I helped her write her talk, but she was the one who got up and spoke for 5 minutes. She was a little soft, and she read the whole thing, but she did such a good job- so many people commented on it to us and her. I've realized I need to be better about complimenting the youth speakers. They need to hear those words of encouragement from others besides their parents :) Sunshine didn't enjoy the experience, but she did a great job and won't have to speak again anytime soon- with the influx of 11 year olds into YW and YM, we have a good number of youth who all need to take a turn speaking.


Monday morning while the kiddos were in class I didn't hike because I needed to work and try to finish up that project I've been working on. This turned out to be a good decision, as it was cold and rainy all morning anyway. It wasn't quite a freezing rain, but there was some ice that had formed overnight.

My foot did not appreciate the cold wet weather we had at the beginning of the week. It's been almost back to normal the last few weeks, but this week was a reminder that it's still healing.

ice crystals in the puddles

Thursday I took the older two kiddos on a hike while Ocean was doing a makeup preschool day. I don't think I've taken just the older two on a hike in... ever? We started hiking when Ocean was 7 or 8 months old and strapped to my chest, while River rode in the jogger. Sunshine and River are now 12 and 5, so the dynamic was different than we usually have. No strollers or 3 year olds complaining and wanting to be held while dawdling along (not to say there weren't 5 yo and 12 yo complaints, because there were). We were able to go a much faster pace than usual. In fact, we even did a bit of trail running as we chased each other down the trail. That's never happened with Ocean along. Even Sunshine participated (she's not fond of running these days). We ran about half a mile total, with lots of stopping and starting, and it was quite fun. I'm hoping for a repeat one of these days.

I spent a busy, frustrating week working on my project. Coding and visualizing intangible email sequences and web hooks and triggers and automations does not come easy for me. They're much more difficult than concrete visualizations for building furniture and what not. I found that even if I know what I want to do, I can't always figure out how to do it. Or it takes forever to figure it out. Needless to say, it definitely took longer than I anticipated, even in the worst case scenario. But I did finally get it and am now in a good position to set things up for my second site, which so far is going smoother. Being able to compare all my settings and see what I did the first time is a huge help.

Chewbacca and I went for a run

Despite my foot being sore earlier in the week I went for a run on Saturday with River. Our March 5k is coming up in a month and I really need to work on getting back in shape and making sure my foot can handle running. We did two miles total, and ran 1.5 miles of that in half mile chunks. It felt good. I foam rolled when got home, which was a good thing or I'd be super sore right now, instead of just a bit sore.

My foot didn't hurt while I was running, though it was a little achy later that day and on Sunday, but it was not as painful as the burning arthritic pain of earlier in the week. So that's a plus.


This week will be another busy one: finalizing taxes, finishing two Wood Badge ticket items, and finishing the project for my second site. That project includes setting up and writing email sequences, forms, and automations (I set those up for my first site a year ago, though I did have to add a couple sequences and edit the automations a bit). The Blue and Gold is this Friday, so the Wood Badge ticket items must be done. Taxes must be sent off because we need to get them filed asap. And the project must be done so I can finally get on a more relaxed schedule.

Weekly Mileage
Thursday- 2.54 miles hiked with Sunshine and River (~.5 mile of that was run)
Saturday- 2.00 miles run with River (1.5 miles total run)
total- 4.54  miles

6 hikes towards #52hikechallenge
0 kayak miles towards #365milechallenge
15.09 outdoor foot miles towards #365milechallenge
4.45 indoor foot miles towards #365milechallenge
30.0 bike miles towards #365milechallenge
49.44 miles total

No comments:

Post a Comment