Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Our 2018 Halloween Costumes

This year hasn't been any calmer than last year, if anything, it's been busier, so I knew I wasn't going to manage any elaborate costumes. I do like making them, but between Wood Badge and work, I just didn't have the time.

I opted for hooded sweatshirts for the boys again, since they're easy and can be worn throughout the year. I searched several sites to see what was available and what was affordable, and ended up with Chewbacca for River and Darth Vader for Ocean.



Ocean's hoody has a little cape that velcros on and off. Too cute!



Ocean doesn't like having the hood up and his face covered, so he doesn't actually wear the hoody like this.


I'm so tall!

Then I really lucked out and found a plastic blaster crossbow like what Chewbacca carries at Target in the costume section. I thought I'd have to make something, but all we had to do was paint it to make it look a little more authentic. Mr M actually did this while I was at Wood Badge, since he took the boys to a trunk or treat activity at his VFW post. The spray paint claimed to bond to plastic, but it flaked off in a few spots, so I had to do some touch ups.

painted crossbow blaster

I grabbed this blaster at the same time, but haven't done anything with it yet. Chewbacca's blaster was the same white and orange, but with a lot more orange.

Lightsabers are easy to find, and I went with a red one (Ocean's favorite color) that lit up and was almost small enough to fit his hands.


Sticking with the Percy Jackson theme from last year, Sunshine decided to be a Naiad (a water nymph). She made it using clothes from her closet and a little makeup, though she didn't think the makeup was worth the effort it took to clean it off.

I think she was controlling the water here :)

I had her do some twirls and she readily complied.



I recycled my Fairy Godmother costume from 8 years ago (our first year in Virginia).


Mr M didn't dress up as anything, since he was at drill during our church fall festival, which is our main costume-wearing event. We only sometimes take the kids out on Halloween, since our neighborhood is not walkable (and therefore not trick or treat-able). There's enough activities beforehand where they get candy, and driving to a neighborhood in town can be a lot of work just for some free candy.

No comments:

Post a Comment