Friday, October 26, 2018

Our 2017 Halloween Costumes

I wrote this post last year, but didn't have a picture of Sunshine or Mr M and I in our costumes, so I didn't post it. With Halloween upon us again, I decided it was time to take some pictures and get this posted.

The past few years I’ve spent September and October making elaborate costumes for the family (Star Wars, Harry Potter, etc). I love the creative process involved in designing and making the costumes, but it’s a lengthy process that I just did not have time for this year.

River has a Captain America hoody with a built-in mask, so I found a Captain America shield and called his costume done.

Ocean didn't want his hood on, but it has a see-through Spiderman mask like River's hoody.


Ever since we watched the LEGO Batman movie, Ocean goes around saying “I’m Batman, I’m awesome” (though you have to be familiar with how he talks to know that’s what he’s saying).  I thought it would be super cute to dress him up as Batman, so I tried to find a similar Batman hoody for Ocean, but I couldn’t find one that was affordable. I was able to find a Spider Man hoody, so we got that and called it good.


I was talking to Sunshine about costume options, thinking she’d want to be a super hero as well, but she immediately suggested going as a Camp Half Blood camper (from the Percy Jackson books). I could have made the shirt, but it was easier and quicker to buy one on Etsy.


She was going to carry a cheap foam sword until I found a Wonder Woman sword on clearance for a great price. The Wonder Woman sword looks a lot more like what a demigod would carry than the foam sword J Sunshine finished off the costume by stringing some wood beads that we painted like ones mentioned in the books on a leather lanyard. She also covered a dollar store foam shield in foil.


We somehow missed getting pictures of her last year, so I totally took these pictures today :)


I bought a Wonder Woman shirt for me and a Super Man shirt for Mr M. Easy and inexpensive.



I was a bit sad not to be all dressed up, but honestly, not stressing about getting all the costumes done was totally worth the decreased effort this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment