Monday, October 23, 2017

Weekly Mileage

you can see the dry, cracked reservoir bed that we were able to walk out quite a ways on

Last week proved to be a busy, stressful one.



We moved our usual Thursday morning hike to Wednesday morning and did a group hike with some of our homeschool friends. We hiked at one of our usual spots and did a loop we haven’t done since sometime last spring, when the water was a lot higher. We haven’t gotten much rain lately, so the reservoir levels are super low. This allowed us to walk out a ways on the dried mud and do a bit of exploring, which the kids all enjoyed.

Sunshine was pleased to find these large freshwater clam shells- much bigger than what she's found other places


Thursday morning we went to Montpelier for a field trip with our history club. We’ve visited in the past, but it’s been a few years since our last visit, so it was fun to go back and do some more exploring. I'll do a post with some more pictures in a few days. I forgot my Garmin, but we did lots of walking, including a hike through the old growth forest that’s part of the estate.  I’m guessing we walked at least 2 miles total.


Friday evening we had pack meeting. Mr M's a bear den leader and I'm now the pack trainer/primary presidency member over Cub Scouts, so we're still very much involved with the pack. We talked about being thrifty and recycling, and then the boys (and everyone else there) had a blast taking apart old electronics. 


We brought my old clock radio with tape deck that I bought in junior high and have used ever since. I finally had to retire it last month because it couldn't keep accurate time anymore and the radio had stopped working. We also brought my dinosaur of a college laptop. The kids were amazed at how thick and heavy it was, and they totally didn't understand the little port that slid out to plug a phone cord into for internet access. Lots of fun was had by all.

that's my clock in pieces above, and my laptop below



Saturday Mr M and I had Cub Scout University, and I taught one of the classes, which was a bit nerve wracking. It went well and we had some good questions and discussions about what was working for different units. I don’t love getting up in front of people, but it’s good to get out of my comfort zone. I’ve already been asked to teach the same class next year, and I’ve been able to make some changes to my notes based on what was brought up in the discussion and questions, so it should be more informative (and better organized) next time.


And then Sunday was our ward's Primary program. We have a large Primary and had to squeeze in a bunch of extra chairs on the dais, but the kids did well and the Spirit was felt. It was a bit stressful, but it was a good learning experience and I'm glad it's over. Until next year, anyway.

Work tasks and illness (we all have colds again) are working against me and I always feel a few steps behind my to-do list. I'm more than a few steps behind on my exercise plans, and while I keep trying to increase my mileage, it's still not happening.

Weekly Mileage
Wed- 1.91miles
Thurs- 2.0 miles
     total miles- 3.91 miles

hikes #41 and 42 towards #52hikechallenge
460.59 miles towards #365milechallenge 

No comments:

Post a Comment