Monday, October 9, 2017

October Trail 5k


Last week my workouts were better, except the timing was a bit off on when I did them.

Our hikes have been shorter than I'd like lately, but we finally managed a longer hike on Thursday, and I followed that with a bike workout Friday (the first in about 5 years), and a trail race on Saturday.

love finding old stonework on our hikes- this is the corner of an old house that used to be here

Yeah, I should have spaced them out better, but I just didn't have time.

Part of our hike was on a trail we haven't been on before, so it was nice to do a bit of exploring. There were some hills, so I got a decent workout.


Friday I finally got on my bike, but it was at a harder gear than I should have been doing with a race the next day. I didn't think about that until the end of my workout though. Oops. I was just enjoying being back on my bike. Well, my bum didn't enjoy it, but the rest of me did.

Saturday I ran my race with tight calf muscles from the bike riding. This was a race I haven't run before, so I wasn't sure what to expect. The first two miles were pretty flat, but the third mile had a couple hills that were steep. If I hadn't had such tight calf muscles, this would have been a great race. It's not easy with the hills at the end, but I liked the course. I could see myself doing this one again.


I ran 3.23 miles in 41:08. Like most trail runs, it was a bit slower, but unlike trail runs I've done in the past, I didn't trip and fall! There were lots of roots and rocks, but I managed to keep my balance. Maybe our regular hikes are improving my balance and spatial awareness?

I ran the first mile and a half, but had to stop and walk for a bit after that because of my tight calves, and from there it was run, walk, run for the rest of the race.

1st mile- 11:12
2nd mile- 12:47
3rd mile- 14:17
last .23 mile- 12:27 pace

After the race I went home and tried to convince myself it was fall (it was 80+ degrees, so while it's looking more and more like fall, it doesn't feel like it) by doing some yard work. I dislike working outside in the heat and humidity, so I've been putting off the outdoor projects on my list. While it was hot, the humidity wasn't the worst it's ever been, so it was a lot more bearable than when I built the chicken coop last year.

I finally finished the trim on the windows and door of the chicken coop, and it looks much better. I need to fix some drainage issues still, but part of that will involve a load of gravel, so there's only so much I can do for now. My next outdoor projects are to build a gate for the expanded run (you can see it on the left side of the coop) and then tear out the garden boxes and rebuild them in a different configuration that makes better use of the space.


I did a lot of walking back and forth as I measured, cut, and attached the trim, but I didn't have my Garmin on, so I don't know how far I walked. On the plus side, while my foot hurt that day, it didn't hurt too badly on Sunday. I'm hoping that means the bike riding was helpful with what's going on in my feet and calves (i.e., good physical therapy).

While I was working on the chicken coop, Mr M was taking down a dead tree in our woods. It was a little too close to our house for our comfort, and it was small enough that Mr M felt confident that he could take it down without too many problems. We have some other dead trees that we're still debating whether he will take them down or if we'll hire somebody to do it. We love the privacy of the trees all around our house, but there are definitely hazards to having them so close to the house.

We didn't plant a garden this year since we had our big road trip in the middle of the summer, and it's a big over-grown mess right now. We'll be changing that soon. 
bonus: can you spot two little boys in the picture?

After dinner on Saturday I started feeling nauseous, and I ended up hugging the porcelain throne into the wee small hours. I haven't been that sick in years, and I've got the sore abdominal muscles to show for it. (I won't share the gory details. You're welcome.) River was sick Friday, so I wasn't particularly surprised to get sick myself (the boys are firmly convinced that what's mine is theirs, especially my water bottles), and now we're waiting to see if anyone else gets sick.

I felt awful most of Sunday and had the first truly do-nothing day in forever. Seriously. Even when I've been sick in the past I've managed to feed the kiddos and get them dressed, but that did not happen this time. I was just too sick. I feel a lot better today, but that's mostly in comparison to how I felt yesterday, because in reality, I don't actually feel that great. Better, but not 100% yet.

it was a beautiful morning- perfect weather for a run

Weekly Mileage
Thursday- 2.82 miles hiked with kids
Friday- 3.87 miles on my bike
Saturday- 3.23 miles in race
       total miles: 9.92 miles

hike #39 towards #52hikechallenge
452.10 miles towards #365milechallenge

No comments:

Post a Comment