Monday, September 14, 2015

Treadmill Time!

I don't think I've been this excited to spend time with our treadmill in a long time. Of course, I haven't  spent 6 weeks on the couch, not exercising, in a long time either.

Last Saturday I went for a short jog while Mr M cooked his homemade bacon for his parents and brother. I did 1.65 miles total, 1 mile of which I jogged, the rest I walked. I felt a bit creaky and my lower back was still tight, but internally everything felt good. I had problems with that after River was born and I started running again, but so far so good.

I had intended to get up for a 6:30 am run, but Ocean likes to nap on and off until 11:30 pm, eat one more time, then finally go to sleep at midnight. Saturday morning he didn't wake up again till 6, so I got a solid 6 hours of sleep. I can't complain too much with that kind of uninterrupted sleep, except now I'm ready to start exercising again and the best time I can consistently do that (I know this from experience) is before the kiddos wake up. If I'm not getting to bed early enough then it's just not going to happen.

I hit the magical (?) 6-week postpartum mark two weeks ago, so I'm good to start exercising regularly again, which I've been looking forward to. With three kiddos to worry about my best option for regular exercise remains our treadmill. Mr M's parents were staying in our guest room in the basement, which also happens to be where the treadmill lives. The room is small enough that I had to fold up the treadmill and put it in the corner so they had enough room to move around.

They returned home last Tuesday, so I was planning on pulling the treadmill out this week and making it feel less neglected. I haven't spent time on it consistently since I stopped training for the half marathon I didn't run, and I'm looking forward to making and sticking to a schedule and getting in shape.

I had planned on posting this last week, but I've been getting headaches daily for the last week and half/two weeks and I've had to drastically reduce my screen time. Well, anything that requires me to focus for long periods of time. My eyes apparently have changed a lot in a short period of time and reading, typing, driving, etc all make my head hurt because of trying to focus. I used to get these headaches every time my eyes changed when I was in elementary school, but I haven't had that problem in a good 25+ years.

The obvious solution is to go to the optometrist. The only problem is that we still haven't received the cards for the vision insurance we purchased through Mr M's work. We have Tricare vision coverage, but it only covers a yearly eye exam. The vision insurance through Mr M's work is only $10 a month, but will cover eye exams, glasses frames (up to a certain amount) and part of the lenses as well. Since three of us wear glasses, it's totally worth it. Unfortunately, since we only purchased the vision insurance and not medical insurance, the insurance company is having problems processing things properly. Almost three months of premiums and we can't use it yet, despite multiple calls and multiple assurances that everything's taken care of.

After spending most of last week trying to resolve the issue and still getting different answers every time we called, on Saturday I finally decided to just use our Tricare vision and get the exam so I can get rid of the headaches. I'll buy cheap glasses online and hopefully they won't take too long to arrive.

Because of the headaches I wasn't as productive as I wanted to be last week and didn't actually spend time on the treadmill. I did go for a run in the rain on Saturday, though. It was glorious :) Not too cold, not too hot, and I had my day-glo neon green shirt on to make sure the cars could see me. I ran a mile and a half this time and walked about a half mile for warm up/cool down. I'm not in shape, but it still felt good to get outside and moving.

I still haven't managed to get up early enough to hit the treadmill before the kiddos wake up. Ocean still likes to stay up late, though he did actually go to sleep at 10 one night last week, which caught me off guard. I was expecting him to wake up again, so I stayed up, purging the closet under the stairs in the basement (more on that soon). Eventually his schedule will level out, so I just need to be patient and be willing to hit the treadmill in the middle of the afternoon if the boys are napping. It's not my favorite time of day to change clothes and get sweaty, but I just need to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment