Saturday, February 21, 2009

The perils of vaccines

Yesterday I received two vaccinations, the first ones in who knows how long. I know I got a tetanus shot when I was about 10 and accidentally stabbed my foot with a garden fork while working in the garden. I think I got another one when I broke my elbow when I was 20. I know I've done my Hep B series, and I think I was about 19 or 20 at the time. I can't think of any other shots I've gotten in the last 10 or 15 years, other than the 4 or 5 RhoGam shots I've gotten in the last 4 or 5 years.

My point being, it's been a while since I've gotten any vaccinations. I got a tetanus booster in my left arm and a pneumonia vaccine in my right arm, and man, do my arms hurt! Last night they were sore to the touch and it hurt to lift them. Today, still sore to the touch, still hurts to lift or move my arms in any way, and the lymph nodes in my armpits hurt. What is up with this? I don't remember being in pain with any other vaccines I've gotten (you'd think you'd remember this kind of pain), and while the RhoGam shots are never pleasant, there's enough other trauma (miscarriage, birth, etc) going on that it's not as noticeable.

Tomorrow will be fun. My voice is starting to get back to normal, and my throat doesn't hurt nearly as much as it used to, but I don't think I'll be doing much singing, and my right arm hurts the worst, so leading the music in Primary is going to be an experience.

1 comment:

  1. For some reason my rubella vaccine was low during my pregnancy with Gabby. They told me to get a new shot before I left the hospital after she was born. So I did. I don't even remember the last vaccination I'd had. I was amazed how much it hurt and had to remind myself to be a little more sympathetic to my kids the next time I took them in for shots.
    Let us know if we should go visit Army Guy if he's up at Fort Lewis for an extended period of time.

    ReplyDelete