Monday, January 9, 2017

Weekly Mileage Recap

Ocean loved the snow!

This past week I didn't spend any time on the treadmill, but we did go on a hike (the first of this year!) and play in the snow. Yep, we finally got some snow Friday afternoon into Saturday.

We ended up with several inches that covered the ground, but it wasn't deep enough for snowshoeing.  Despite that, Sunshine insisted on trying hers out anyway :) She snowshoed to the neighbor's house to go sledding, then snowshoed back.

they may not look like it, but they had fun

The boys and I went sledding at our house in the morning. After naps I popped the tires off our bike trailer and put the ski kit on. We bought the trailer when Sunshine was about 2 and the ski kit was on sale so we optimistically bought that as well. Saturday was the first time we've been able to put it to use. Glad it hasn't been a complete waste :)


The boys were a bit crowded with their puffy coats and snow pants on, but they fit. This was the first time they've been in the trailer since we haven't gotten our bikes out since before the boys were born. I used to use it all the time with Sunshine, but it's been languishing in the shed for the last 4 or 5 years. I'd already planned on getting my bike and the trailer out when warmer weather arrives so Sunshine and I can go bike riding, and this was a bit of extra encouragement.

it's really hard to take a good selfie of yourself and the trailer six feet behind you

The harness system worked great and the trailer pulled easily, though we scratched the skis on the gravel under the snow in the places where the snow wasn't quite as deep. I just wore my snow boot and hiked with my ski poles and it was harder than I anticipated to pull the boys in the trailer up our driveway hill. If I ever have the chance to pull the trailer while cross country skiing I'll have to avoid any hills.



Thursday we went to our usual trails park and ended up on a trail we hadn't hiked before. Remember the old car we found on one of our hikes? This time we found the ruins of an old stone house. And, coincidentally, a geocache wedged in the stones of one wall.  This was hike #1 for the 52 Hike Challenge.



I'd love to see a picture of what this house looked like before it fell apart

For whatever reason, this hike actually went really well. They don't always- sometimes one of the kiddos is tired or grumpy, or we're short on time so I'm hurrying us along, but none of that happened. It was refreshing :)

cute baby alert!

Almost a month after we first got sick, we're finally over most of the crud- we're just dealing with a lingering cough or two in the kiddos and some sinus pressure in me. I'm drinking so much water to keep my sinuses clear I could almost float away. Hopefully it'll clear up soon.

Weekly Mileage
Thursday: 2.20 miles
Saturday: ~ .50 miles (not certain, so just guessing)
       total miles:  ~2.70 miles

2.7 miles towards the 365 Mile Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment