Monday, February 23, 2015

The 11 Mile Long Run That Wasn't

yay for lots of snow! 
Sunshine was very disappointed that it was too dry for good sledding and snowmen

I spoke too soon last Monday about feeling better. I felt crummy all week, and Friday I felt worse than I had the rest of the week. I had thought I could at least walk a few miles Friday, but even that wasn't happening. In fact, I stayed in my pj's all day and took it easy in the hope that all the rest would help me heal faster. I'm not sure if it was enough. I still have the sore throat I've had for the last week and a half, and I'm feeling bad enough that if I don't feel better tomorrow I'll be going to the doctor to make sure it's not strep or something.

Monday- still dealing with my cold, so decided to rest
Tuesday- feeling better (though not 100%), treadmill walk
Wednesday- treadmill walk
Thursday- treadmill walk
Friday- rest
Saturday- rest

When I went to bed Friday night, I still wasn't feeling great, but I figured I could manage to walk 7 or 8 miles the next day. While I did feel a little better, and I did think about hitting the treadmill, I ultimately decided another rest day was in order. I could have pushed through my sore throat and cold, but being perpetually tired because of my training and pregnancy is not conducive to healing. So as much as I wanted to increase my mileage, I didn't want to do it at the expense of my health.

Total mileage for the week: a paltry 5.19 miles.  Way lower than last week, but given how I feel, I'm ok with that.

--------------

My race calendar had me scheduled for an 8 mile race this Saturday, but about two weeks ago I had some serious concerns about the scheduling. Mr M can't watch the kiddos that day and the race is far enough away that I'd have to leave at 6:30 am. Finding childcare at that hour of the morning was not going to be easy.

Coincidentally, I was looking through the local race calendars for a race to run in May when I noticed that a local 5k had been added for the same day I was supposed to run my 8 mile race. When I had looked originally, the only races I could find in February were the mud run I've done in the past (the first time I ran it I was about 10 weeks pregnant with River and it's not something I want to do while 20 weeks pregnant) and the 8 mile race an hour and a half away. I had intended the 8 mile race as a tune-up for the half marathon, but in the interest of scheduling I decided a 5k speed workout would be just as beneficial.

And then last week we had about a foot of snow and temps in the teens and twenties with wind chills in the negatives. This week is supposed to be a smidge warmer, but I'm not holding my breath on that. I've been training exclusively inside, so I'm not acclimated to the colder temps, and I'm still sick. So this race may end up being a 5k I do just to keep my body moving so I can try to keep up my training.

No comments:

Post a Comment