Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Homesteading Thoughts

I'm in the middle of finishing some projects to share, but in the meantime I thought I'd share some thoughts that have been running around my head lately.

We know we want to move somewhere we can buy acreage and have a mini-farm/homestead/hobby farm/whatever you want to call it. There's lots of places we wouldn't mind living, but there's no job opportunities for Mr M near most of them, so they wouldn't work. However, we have finally found a place that actually has job prospects for Mr M, and land isn't too expensive. The only problem is that there's not a lot of job openings, so we have to wait till one opens up.

In the meantime, I've been doing research (of course- my OCD loves to over-think things) and have come across many homesteading blogs that say start where you live, even if it's not the perfect place you had in mind.

I've seen similar posts several times now, and it got me thinking. Why aren't we doing more right now? Actually, it's not too hard to come up with multiple reasons.

  1. I'm pregnant. And yes, I am using that as an excuse. I'm not planting a garden while 6 months pregnant, and I'm not weeding it while 9 months pregnant. Just being realistic here.
  2. We only have one corner of the yard that actually gets any amount of consistent sun (and I have my doubts about it being enough for some plants), and that corner had a tree fall on it last year. The chances of that happening again are very slim, but it still makes me wary.
  3. We've actually considered getting a feeder pig or two, with the idea of rotating them around the treed parts of our property (acorn-fed pork is supposed to be super tasty!), but the fences would have to be moved every couple days. Not normally an issue, except I'm pregnant (yep, playing that card again). That's not the real problem, though. We don't have a dog(s) to protect the pigs and scare away predators. Bears have been seen in our area, so predators are an issue.
  4. We could get some chickens, and this one is the one we're closest to doing. We want to have pastured chickens, but we don't have a pasture, so we'd have to run them through the trees. So fencing and predators are an issue with them as well.
  5. We have no idea how long we'll be here given Mr M's current job situation. Even if we do stay here, Mr M may have to work out of our area for awhile. Tasks that would be manageable with him around would be overwhelming with him gone and me caring for three kiddos. And it would be our luck that we would finally get started on one of these (garden, pigs, and/or chickens) only to have to move before the season is over.
So that's what's been running circles in my brain. Any suggestions or encouragement on how to make it all work?

No comments:

Post a Comment