Monday, August 2, 2021

Weekly Mileage #227 and YW Camp


Monday I ran some errands and did the grocery shopping, then packed up the tools and materials for camp to make it as easy as possible to transport.

Then I packed my clothes and made sure everything I needed was ready to go.

Tuesday I dropped Sunshine off an hour away at 8am at the camp rally point. Then I drove back home and the boys did their music lessons online. 

After their lessons I finished my packing and loaded the car and headed off to camp. It was a 3 hour drive, which is a bit further than I'm really comfortable driving, but I made it without incident.

I arrived not long before the afternoon gathering where the teachers talked up their classes. Some of the classes were required, some the girls could choose whether to attend. Mine was an optional one.

Some of the classes offered included rifle, archery, waterfront, canoeing, leatherwork, pioneering, and macrame. They also had some activities on Friday that included things like hiking and caving. 

I ended up in a wood Adirondack cabin with 3 other women (I'd expected to be in a canvas tent). The girls and some of the leaders were in canvas tents (we were at a Boy Scout camp). It was a good thing I brought my earplugs!

Tuesday afternoon Jeremy took Max to the vet to board overnight and get her vaccines updated and annual checkup and toenails trimmed (she wouldn't let us do it), then took the boys in the RV to his mandatory PT test.

Wednesday Jeremy didn't actually end up doing his PT test. Everyone with profiles were told to skip it rather than risk injury. He'd asked repeatedly before the test if he needed to be there, so it was super frustrating for him.

On Wednesday I taught 3 groups of girls. In between groups, I used my down time to fold waxed canvas for pockets, prepping them for sewing when I returned home.

Thursday I taught 2 groups of girls (one was a double size class), then I had a bonus class in the evening that ended up with 26+ girls. The bonus class was crazy and exhausting, and if I do it again, I would definitely do it differently.

At the end of my lunch hour earlier that day, I hit up the archery range and rifle range for some shooting practice. I haven't shot a rifle in years, but my aim wasn't too bad. I haven't shot a bow and arrow in even longer (high school? maybe middle school?). It was fun doing both.


During my downtime between classes on Thursday, I folded hems on waxed canvas for buckets and sewed some beads to a leather bracelet to try out an idea.

Overall, I slept better than on previous Scout campouts, but I still woke up multiple times, so my sleep was not as restful as it could be. And all the peopling was exhausting. Despite that, I had a good time and enjoyed being at camp as a program adult, as opposed to a ward adult (they were assigned to groups of girls. while the older youth took the lead on most things, the ward adults were still with their groups a good portion of each day). The 6:30am wake up time was a bit rough, though.

Friday I woke up half an hour before my alarm to the feeling of a mouse running across my hip! I stayed in bed till my alarm went off, but I kept my earplugs in so I wouldn't hear any mouse scratchings and I kept twitching random parts of my body to forestall any further rodent incursions. Lots of fun.

After breakfast and the morning leader training session, I headed home. It was a long drive and I was pretty tired after poor sleep and too much peopling, so I struggled. The plan is to return to this camp next year, so if I go, I may need to come up with some other transportation plans.

I rested and dozed off and on the rest of the afternoon and evening before and after karate class

Saturday I sewed the fronts of my batches of pockets. I burned my logo onto blank tags then oiled bucket handles and the logo'd tags. I was still tired, though better, but Jeremy went and picked up Sunshine from the camp rally point so I could stay home and rest a bit more.

Sunday we discussed the class structure used at camp and how we can use it in our YW (which we should be anyway ....). I was still tired, but had improved over the previous couple days.

Weekly Mileage 

Tuesday-                                                        5.0  hours outside
Wednesday-                                                  15.0 hours outside
Thursday-                                                     16.0 hours outside
Friday-                                                           3.0 hours outside
       total-0.0 miles             39 hours

2021 totals
196.0 outside hours
195.30 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment