Monday, April 20, 2020

Weekly Mileage #160 and Chicken Coop Work


Monday Sunshine started two online merit badge classes. We also deemed this the week of merit badges- she has 5 or 6 unfinished ones that she just needs to buckle down and finish.

I drew out a roll-away nesting box for the coop (eggs roll out of the way so chickens don't eat them). We haven't had a good nesting box in the coop since we got the laying hens and I'm tired of them laying them wherever and eating them. Sunshine is going to build the box for the last requirement of her woodworking merit badge.

I also started one last round of masks. Jeremy had found some super hero fabric at Walmart, so I'm making one for everyone in the fam + a couple more for people at work. I got them cut out, but need to do the sewing still.

This was going to be the last of the sewing for awhile, but then I realized that sewing masks for a local hospital might fill the service hours Sunshine needs for her Citizenship in the Community merit badge (she was holding out for volunteering at the SPCA once she turns 14, but shelter at home orders are in place for a month past her birthday). She needs 8 hours, so we'll see how many we can get done in that time frame. We got some blue wrap from the hospital to use, so we won't have to purchase any materials. I'm also going to cut some earsavers from acrylic with the glow forge to donate.

Monday was a swirly day I had a touch of vertigo that wasn't bad enough to keep me flat in bed, so I kept doing things and was feeling pretty nauseous by the end of the day. Should have stopped and rested a lot earlier. My ears are bugging me, despite using my neti pot and Flonase every day. But it's only been a week, so hopefully they'll clear up soon. I really don't want to spend more time than necessary in a hospital or doctor's office right now.


Tuesday we had music lessons followed by merit badge classes, and I went on a trail run and hike. During the last couple runs I've been scoping out the flattest 5k route I can find. I've got two virtual races coming up, one with River, and based on my current physical state, the course needs to not be super strenuous. The course I've found is actually reasonably flat. I ran 1.5 miles without stopping, and could actually have run a bit more. Despite still feeling a bit off from Monday, my run went really well. My hike was on the muddy side though- the trails were a lot wetter than I thought they would be. It rained some at our house on Monday, but based on the evidence in the park, there was torrential rain in the park, just a couple miles down the road.


Thursday I spent some time with the GlowForge, cutting acrylic ear savers while finishing the last of the face masks for us and Jeremy's coworkers.



Friday I dismantled the brooder in the chicken coop. We don't need the brooder and we'll be reusing the wood for the nesting box. All the dust is not good for me, though- I ended up with a headache.



-----

I also organized my workspace and materials so I can get back to working on leather projects. I really want to make use of this time to try new things and improve my skills and the quality of my products.

Ocean had a cold the first couple weeks of March, but it cleared up shortly after we started staying home. That was more than 5 weeks ago now, and he hasn't been sick since. Our little germ magnet is finally not bringing home germs! Since this kiddo seemed to always have a runny nose or a cough, or both, it's a really nice, and welcome, change of pace.

Weekly Mileage
Monday- 10.00 miles biked
Tuesday- 1.50 mile trail run
Tuesday- 2.40 miles hiked
total- 13.90 miles

2020 totals
15 hikes towards #52hikechallenge
0 kayak miles towards #365milechallenge
69.67 outdoor foot miles towards #365milechallenge
8.00 indoor foot miles towards #365milechallenge
100.0 bike miles towards #365milechallenge
163.77 miles total

No comments:

Post a Comment