Monday, August 12, 2019

Weekly Mileage #124 and Pink Eye


Monday I spent some time on the treadmill and then took Ocean to his ENT followup. His ears look good and the tubes are still in place, though there was some wax build up in one ear. It wasn't enough to be worried about, so we go back in 6 months for another checkup.

Tuesday we went to the spray park. I was finally able to sit with the other moms and talk. In the past I've had to stay relatively close to Ocean to make sure he doesn't run off, but he's more reliable these days. I did check on him throughout the time we were there, but there was no wandering on his part.


That night I heard a thumping on the back window. I finally went to look and found this huge Luna moth hanging out on the window trim. We watched it over the next several days and discovered that it was laying eggs on the window trim. Naturally, we did a bit of research and found that it takes about a week for the eggs to hatch into tiny caterpillars. We'll keep an eye on them and see if we can catch them hatching. The moth hung around for about 5 days, which was longer than I expected.

the black poop looking things are eggs :)

excuse my dirty window- the moth was laying eggs and I caught it on film!

Ocean watching the moth

Wednesday we had nature group and a hike to the river. We got to taste edible plants such as mint, basil, lemon basil, and so on.


nibbling and evaluating the taste :)

River doesn't usually rub mud all over himself like Ocean does, but he had fun rubbing sand all over, then jumping in the river to wash it off

whenever we're near water, Sunshine always looks for paint rocks. She found some and gave herself and a couple other girls tiger stripes :)

Ocean was running with a stick and managed to stab his upper eyelid. I was watching him and he was fine, I looked away for a couple seconds and he stabbed himself (isn't that how it always happens?). I had a first aid kit in my pack but a couple of the other moms had to bandage him because I almost passed out :( Blood and I don't always get along, especially if eyes are involved. Which it wasn't, but apparently it was close enough to make me super queasy. Thankfully it was a fairly superficial injury and has healed well so far, though he'll have a scar.

there's this cool vine cave at the top of the dune next to the river- this is Ocean post-accident, when I told him he couldn't play in the water any more

River found a little frog as we were getting ready to hike back to the car

Thursday I finally did some running on the treadmill, mixed in with some walking. It felt pretty good to be running again, but I am definitely out of shape.

Friday I got pink eye and spent the next 4 days hiding out at home and washing my hands every 5 seconds. I don't know where I got it, but most likely it was a contaminated shopping cart. Ocean had pink eye right before we left on our road trip, but that was long enough ago that I didn't get it from him. I think this is the first time I've gotten pink eye, and I wouldn't recommend it. Ick!

I had hoped to pick up my computer Friday when the new logic board arrived (turns out my logic board was fried), but it had some bad parts and wasn't completely functional. My laptop is old enough that this part isn't made anymore, but my computer guy found a replacement part in San Diego and had it shipped Friday afternoon, so hopefully I can pick it up sometime on Monday!

Weekly Mileage
Monday- 2.50 miles walked
Wednesday- 1.11 miles hiked
Thursday- 3.30 miles walked and run
total- 6.91 miles

15 hikes towards #52hikechallenge
2.56 kayak miles towards #365milechallenge
74.64 outdoor foot miles towards #365milechallenge
32.99 indoor foot miles towards #365milechallenge
80.0 bike miles towards #365milechallenge
190.19 miles total

No comments:

Post a Comment