Monday, July 22, 2019

Weekly Mileage #121 and My First Time on a SUP


Monday morning was cloudy, but it was warm and not supposed to rain, so we headed out to Flaming Gorge reservoir with all sorts of floating toys that we had fun with. Kayaks, SUPS, a giant inflatable duck, and so on. 


Sunshine and her cousins N and A giving River a ride on a SUP

My sister also gave River a ride 

River paddled anything he could get his hands on: SUPS, kayaks, floaties....





I did some kayaking, but I also tried the SUPs. I tried one years ago, when I was pregnant with River, but never successfully got on it because it was a child's SUP and not rated for my pregnant self. So this was my first time up on a SUP. I liked it, but it was also a bit disconcerting. It felt weird to be standing on the water. I need to do it more often though, because I had some sore muscles the next day in places I've never had sore muscles before.



Mr M also tried out a SUP and did some kayaking.


We had fun, but most of us ended up sunburned to one extent or another. River was a little pink on Monday and back to normal on Tuesday- he's got that olive complexion that doesn't really burn. The rest of us didn't fare so well.

Tuesday morning we all packed up and headed home. We stopped in Colorado for a minute to pick some things up, then headed east, spending the night in Kansas.

Wednesday was a full day of driving. Around 9pm we were driving down I70 in Missouri when a rock or something shattered the window above the jacknife sofa in RV. One minute it was fine, the next there was a lot of road noise and the blinds were being pulled on by the wind. We pulled over (conveniently on an exit ramp) and quickly realized what had happened.

We tried calling the insurance company, but they were closed for the night, so we decided to call them in the morning. In the meantime, I found a Walmart 7 miles away where we bought plastic sheeting and gorilla tape. We spent a half hour or so securely taping off the inside and outside of the window, then hit the road again for a couple more hours. We decided to at least get to the other side of St Louis so we wouldn't have to deal with big city traffic in the morning.

first look at the window. by the time we got to walmart, most of the glass had fallen out


After spending the night in a Cracker Barrel parking lot, we hit the road again and arrived home Thursday night. After thinking about it overnight, we decided not to file a claim and to contact an RV body shop to get a quote. They couldn't give us exact numbers because they don't know how much shipping will cost for the replacement window, but the final total should be less than our deductible, much like what happens when you replace a windshield.


I wasn't able to work on my computer all day Thursday because it stopped charging the day before (or maybe even on Tuesday?) and the battery was dead. I thought it was just the power cord (I've had one or two die on me in the past), so I hopped on my phone and ordered a new one off Amazon.

Say what you will about Amazon, they do have fast shipping. My replacement cord arrived on Friday, but my laptop still wouldn't charge. We ordered a different part (where the cord attaches to the laptop, which we've replaced once before), but it won't arrive till Monday.

We spent the day recovering from way too much time driving, unloading the RV, and starting mounds of laundry. We have fun on our trips, but it's always nice to get home and sleep in our own beds after sitting in RV seats and carseats for way too long. Someday we'll be able to travel at a much slower pace, which will be so nice, since those super long days of driving are just not sustainable.



Ocean celebrated his fourth birthday and requested a cake with blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries and rainbow ice cream (rainbow sherbet). Yum! He thinks he's so big now :)

Weekly Mileage
Monday- 1.31 miles kayaked and SUPed
total- 1.31 miles

14 hikes towards #52hikechallenge
2.56 kayak miles towards #365milechallenge
73.53 outdoor foot miles towards #365milechallenge
15.87 indoor foot miles towards #365milechallenge
80.0 bike miles towards #365milechallenge
171.96 miles total

No comments:

Post a Comment