Monday, June 17, 2019

Weekly Mileage #116 and the One Mile Race


Unlike last week, this week was not boring and we had several experiences of note.

Monday Sunshine went to the orthodontist. After five years, 11 teeth pulled, and two retainers, she finally has enough adult teeth to get braces. We'll put the top brackets on at the end of July, after we return from our road trip. We'll have to wait till her teeth move a bit before the lower brackets can be put on- right now her upper teeth would run into them. She does need two adult teeth pulled- there's just no room for them in her mouth. She'll also get an expander put in on top (I had one when I was in elementary school- I'm not sure why she didn't get one sooner- not enough adult teeth, probably).

Tuesday the kids and I went to the lake with our homeschool group and I finally logged my first kayaking mile of the year. I paddled Ocean around the lake, and then River paddled Sunshine's kayak for a bit. He picked it right up and did a great job!


Wednesday we had nature group and the kids had fun playing in the stream at a local park.


Thursday, Friday, and Saturday I worked on the RV. I painted two walls white and I put white shiplap wallpaper on the walls of both slides. I'm not done yet, but it's amazing how much brighter the RV is just with those changes. Well, those and taking down the window valances that blocked 1/3 of the light coming in. The interior of many RVs can be cave-like because most manufacturers use a lot of browns (to hide dirt probably). Our trailer had white cupboards and light tan walls and felt quite airy. Our RV didn't have anything light colored in it before I started. I'll share before and after pictures once I'm done.


Saturday River and I also ran a 1 mile race. This particular race has been on my radar since I was working on my 40 by 40 goal, but it was always held on Sundays, so I'd never run it before. This year I noticed that it was on Saturday, so it was in the back of my mind when River asked if there was a 1 mile race we could do (he now wants to do a 2 mile race :).

walking back to the parking area

We walked a bit more than a quarter mile from where we parked to get to the start line, ran the race, which was all downhill, then walked back to the parking area, which was more than a mile and a quarter away and uphill. I wasn't expecting so much walking, but it was a good race and the walk back was actually really good for stretching tight muscles that have not seen nearly enough mileage lately.

beautiful scenery. can you see the log cabin off in the distance?

It was a gorgeous day for a run- partially cloudy, not too hot, beautiful surroundings. River and I ran the whole race (9:41 finish) and he placed first in his age group!

-----

I had the thought last night that one of the reasons I have my new calling (there's always many) is to help me grow a thicker skin. I tend to take things too personally and to worry about what others think and say, even though I have no control over such things. We're in the midst of a bit of kerfuffle involving parental expectations versus actual responsibilities of the leaders. Nothing major, and it's been an on-going issue, I just got dumped in the middle of it right off the bat.

In any case, thankfully my counselors are much better than I at letting things roll off them so I can learn from them, and we can spread the kerfuffle amongst us all, so no one person bears the brunt of it. I know that having a thicker skin is definitely necessary, especially as I venture into advertising my businesses. I know I will encounter trolls along the way, and hopefully it will be easier to ignore unknown people than people I know.

Weekly Mileage
Tuesday- 1.25 miles kayaked
Wednesday- 1.90 miles hiked
Saturday- 1.00 mile run
Saturday- 1.72 miles walked
total- 5.87 miles

12 hikes towards #52hikechallenge
1.25 kayak miles towards #365milechallenge
63.15 outdoor foot miles towards #365milechallenge
15.87 indoor foot miles towards #365milechallenge
80.0 bike miles towards #365milechallenge
160.27 miles total

No comments:

Post a Comment