Thursday, December 21, 2017

Potty Training, Week 2

Ocean thought this bench (for sit ups?) made a great bike

Ocean has managed to stay dry several nights, but the key is for me to wake up in the morning before he does so I can get him on the potty right away. He's woken up in the middle of the night several times to pee and get a drink, but it didn't go well when I woke him up to pee. Lesson learned. We haven't managed to kick the water bottle in bed habit yet, but we're working on it. In the meantime, he still wears a diaper or a pull-up to bed (whichever I grab from the almost empty diaper drawer), though he's fighting that more and more.

At nap times I've been diapering him (he's got mixed feelings about the diapers, so he likes it when I put underpants on top of the diaper) but he usually stays dry. So we're just about ready to leave the underpants on during nap. I know I'll have more laundry to do, so I'm kind of waiting till things are a little less crazy :)

Last Friday we discovered just what a challenge it can be to go hiking when it's cold and you have a toddler who's early in the potty training cycle. Multiple overlapping layers do not make it easy to get him on the potty quickly.

We arrived at the nature preserve and I got him all bundled up after first asking if he needed to pee. He said no, so I bundled him up, and then we went to the porta potty so I could use it. And naturally he decided he then needed to go, which meant I had to pull all those layers off, make sure he didn't fall in, and then re-bundle him. It was a hassle, but at least he's not afraid of using a porta potty...

The first Sunday after we started potty training we didn't go to church because we were sick, so this past Sunday was the first time he went to church without a diaper. Mr M and I were a bit nervous about this, but he stayed dry the entire three hours! I took him a couple times, but he also told the nursery teacher that he needed to go.

He did have an accident at the ward Christmas party Saturday night, but he was wandering around when that happened and I didn't realize he needed to go until too late. Distractions definitely make the process more difficult.

At home he still has some accidents, but he's getting better about running for the potty, and the accidents are decreasing in frequency and severity. Good progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment