Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Guest Bathroom Shelf Unit


One of the smaller projects I built recently was a shelf unit for our guest bathroom. Mr M's mom is coming to help out when the baby's born and I wanted to make sure the bathroom was a bit more functional than it has been. There is a vanity in the bathroom, but I have stuff stored in it, which doesn't leave my mother in law anywhere to put her things. She'll be here long enough that I wanted her to be able to put things away and not feel like she's living out of a suitcase the whole time.

There's oddly wide spacing between the vanity and toilet, and I've wanted to fill that space with some sort of storage solution that would make better use of the space. I saw plans here a couple years ago for a shelf unit and knew it would be the perfect fit for that awkward space. I adjusted the width of the shelf to fit the space available, but did everything else as the plans said.

the oddly wide space between the vanity and the toilet

I was able to use some wood we already had (the 3/4" plywood for the shelf bottoms), but I needed to buy a couple 1x2s and 1x3s to finish it out.

Painted and ready to go downstairs.

In the bathroom, making the space much more useful. I think it looks so much nicer now- like the space is actually used :)

I'm pretty happy with how this project turned out. It was a fairly quick and easy build, though painting was a bit of a pain. I should have painted the wood before I assembled it. You can't tell from these pictures, but the wood is a little rough. I should have sanded the wood better or paid the extra for nicer pieces of wood- the 1x2s and 1x3s were just cheap furring strips, not the nicer, more expensive whitewood pieces. Despite that, I am happy with it and am glad I can finally check this project off my to-do list.

No comments:

Post a Comment