Friday, July 27, 2012

Painting Progress

(the new light in the hall bathroom)
As I mentioned before, I've been painting several rooms- the kitchen, a small hallway next to the kitchen, the master bedroom, the upstairs hallway, hall bathroom, and part of the stairway.

Because they were ceiling-mounted, I replaced the lights in the kitchen, master bedroom, and upstairs hallway when I painted the ceilings. The wall-mounted hall bathroom light fixture didn't get removed till I started on all the walls.

I didn't take a picture of the old light, but it was a smaller version of the one in our bathroom
(which will also not be staying). The wall color looks quite nice in this pic, but it's actually a lime green, so the master bathroom will be painted in the near future.

I also removed the mirror to make it easier to paint everything. Once I got the light off, though, I found out that the builder cheaped out and didn't put a box in the wall- they just punched a hole and threaded the wires through it.


I carefully enlarged the hole to fit the box (after flipping the circuit breaker, first, of course- no death wishes here), threaded the wires into the appropriate spots, and installed the box. Apparently the bathroom has been repainted, but it was repainted builder's beige (why?!!) and they didn't remove the light first. So I also had to spackle the paint lines and the holes where the fixture was attached to the wall. The new fixture has a lot smaller face plate than the old one.


After two coats of paint, everything looks so much brighter and cleaner! Bye-bye grungy, scuffed-up walls, hello clean and bright ceilings and walls.

There's still more work to be done {touch up the paint where the ceiling meets the walls, paint the trim, paint the sink cabinet and medicine cabinet white, cut and install a frame around the mirror, and install a new TP holder} but I love how much better it looks already.
Every time I walk past the clean, bright walls I can't help but smile!

1 comment:

  1. JEn I'm always impressed at the projects you do around the house. I accidentally ripped a smoke alarm off the ceiling when I was changing its batteries. That happened a few weeks ago and I haven't even gotten that done -forget all the other things that need to be done. Way to be so ambitious.

    ReplyDelete