Tuesday, July 24, 2012

First Grade

LMS sounding out words in one of her favorite books. She LOVES anatomy books and we have quite a few now, of varying degrees of difficulty. Do we have a future doctor on our hands?

Yesterday we started first grade.

Yes, our summer was short, but we'll be taking breaks throughout the year, so we're not missing out.

And who really wants to be outside when it's really hot and muggy? Not me. I'm all for staying inside and enjoying our air conditioning. When it cools down we'll take a break and spend some time outside.

As I've mentioned before, we're using the curriculum suggestions from A Well-Trained Mind. So what are we studying this year?

Reading, writing, spelling, grammar, math, science, history/geography, music, art, Japanese, and religion.

Yes, we will be busy, but each subject doesn't take very long when you're working one-on-one, and not all subjects are studied every day.

I was going to hold off on the Japanese for a few more years and start Latin next year, but a lady who's originally from Japan recently moved into our ward and I want to be able to take advantage of a native speaker to practice with (I'm super rusty), and figured it would be a good opportunity for LMS as well.

We've already decided on some extra-curricular and enrichment activities, the rest will be decided on as time passes.

We're continuing violin lessons, and after Labor Day LMS will start soccer again and an Irish sampler class that includes instruction in Irish language, dance, music (bodrhan and fiddle or tin whistle), and singing. Yes, I wish I could take this class, but it's only for kids, unfortunately.

After soccer is over, we might do some ice skating lessons or some skiing (I'd like to do both), but we'll have to see how our schedule is.

I don't think we'll be doing any co-ops this year because our schedule is already too full. Maybe next year.

When do your kids start school?

No comments:

Post a Comment