Tuesday, October 4, 2011

So how's our homeschool schedule going?

We started the day after Labor Day, so we're about a month into the school year.
(LMS listening to scripture tapes before we buckle down for reading, 'riting, and 'rithmetic)

After some trial and error, we've established an order for doing each subject, which has resulted in less time wasted and less pushing to get each lesson finished.

The first two weeks I didn't do any workouts, and that had to change (see this post), so I figured out a workout/training schedule (see this post), which is going pretty good so far, and only changes our school schedule a little.

Right now the subjects are time-intensive for me as I help LMS understand each new concept, especially in reading and math, but they won't always be. Three afternoons a week we're driving around town for classes, so I multitask by doing the grocery shopping and errands while we're out and about. Two evenings a week (thankfully it's going to once a week this week) and Saturday mornings we have soccer. Spare time for projects and all the household stuff is only available at certain times of the week.

Some of her work I need to sit next to her and help her, other parts she can do on her own, so I have a few minutes here and there to get stuff done around the house: bills, meals prepared, house cleaned, though it's a work in progress to see how everything fits in (and the housework has definitely suffered lately).

I've felt a bit stressed about our busy schedule, but a lot of the stress is because I haven't felt as good as I should lately- our food's been off- there's something else we need to cut out- almonds, I think. So I've felt crummy, stressed, and frustrated because I'm not getting everything done. Fun combo. I'm feeling better physically now, so I'm feeling less stressed, which makes everything better :)

This is our current curriculum (if we find something isn't working, I'll switch it for something else, though right now it all seems to be going well):
Scripture study- she listens to the tapes for the Illustrated Stories from the Bible, Book of Mormon, and Church History
Reading- Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy lessons
Writing- Zaner-Bloser Handwriting
Math- Math-U-See Primer
Music- violin and ukulele
Art- no set curriculum- just whatever strikes our fancy
Science- no set curriculum- classes at the co-op are giving her an introduction though (biology now, physics next session)
PE- soccer

2 comments:

  1. Looks good Jennifer! Are you doing History?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We aren't doing anything structured this year. That will start next year when she hits first grade. The curriculum will be a lot more focused and structured next year- this year my chief goals for her are to be able to read and do math so she can build on that foundation next year. How are you guys doing?

    ReplyDelete