Thursday, September 15, 2011

Where was I that morning 10 years ago?

(a few days late on this post)

Mr M and I had gotten married two and a half weeks earlier, we were getting settled into our first apartment together, and we'd been back in school for a week and a half.

I was working as a research assistant in an animal nutrition lab on campus and had just sat down at my computer in the lab I shared with a couple grad students when one walked in and asked me if I'd heard the news. I hadn't heard anything, so he told me a plane had crashed into a building in New York City. We then walked to the next building over and found a lecture room that had a tv feed and watched on the wall-sized screen as the second plane crashed into the towers. We all just stood there, shocked that this could be happening, here. Things like that don't happen in America, they happen other places. Eventually the professor who used that room decided he should get down to business so those of us who weren't actually in his class had to leave.

I don't remember much of the rest of the day, though I must have worked and gone to class, but I do remember calling Mr M to tell him what had happened. He was still at home and hadn't heard anything. Because we'd just gotten married we were still figuring out our apartment and our budget. We lived in a tiny apartment at the back of a house that apparently had no antenna as we couldn't pull in even local tv stations. We weren't sure we could afford cable, so while we had a tv, we only used it to watch movies. It wasn't till several months later that we got cable, and by then there wasn't the constant coverage. We ended up being in a bit of a media vacuum during those first few chaotic months, but we've definitely been involved in the results (Mr M's deployments, for one) and have seen how it's changed the world we live in.

I can't help but think that it's a blessing not to have even more of those images stuck in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment