Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Corn Maze 5k Recap

view of some of the trails in the corn field

The corn maze 5k was originally scheduled for the first Saturday in October, but due to all the rain we received at the beginning of the month the race was re-scheduled for this past Saturday. In previous years the Saturday before Halloween has been the the Halloween 5k. I initially thought I'd have to choose between the two, but for some reason the Halloween race wasn't held this year. The website said they'll hold it again next year, though. In any case, I didn't have to choose which to do and I have a few more days to finish our Halloween costumes (which I'm working frantically on in between everything else).

We actually went to this corn maze two years ago, just before River was born, with our History Club.  That time we had paper maps we carried with us to help us find our way out; this time the correct path was marked with plastic trail tape that blocked off the paths we needed to avoid. I never worried about getting lost.

This was a fun race! Except for the first 150 yards the entire race was run in the corn maze and there were 300+ turns of 90* or greater. The maze is on a bit of a slope, so those turns took us back and forth and up and down the slope. I really wasn't sure what to expect, so I went into this race without any expectations other than to finish. I've been fighting a cold since Wednesday night, but I woke up Saturday morning feeling a bit better and I don't feel that it hindered me as I ran.

The race started in waves of 10 or less people, one minute apart, which kept things from getting too crowded in the maze. I think there was about 30 or so participants divided among six waves.

I ran the whole thing! I haven't done that in a long time (the New Years 5k in 2013 is the last time I think I ran an entire race). I think all the turns kept me at a more steady pace than I usually run, so I was able to run the whole thing because I didn't wear myself out earlier in the race.

The race was a little short at 3.06 because I ran the diagonals wherever I could and managed to shave a smidge off the distance. I finished in 37:42, which is just a few seconds slower than my September 5k. I expected to run this race a lot slower, so I'm really pleased with my time. The weather was perfect for running- mid 50's and overcast (no sun shining in my eyes).

3.06 miles in 37:42 min at a 12:20 overall pace
1st mile- 11:38
2nd mile- 12:25
3rd mile- 12:58

A side benefit to running in a small race? I won my age group! Yay me! I think that's the first time I've ever done that. I won a pumpkin (this was at a corn maze after all) and a stainless steel water bottle.

I'm not sure if I'll do it again just because October tends to be a busy month with Cub Scout events and other races I like to do, so we'll have to see what next October looks like.

This was a 5k that was run in a corn maze; it's hard to beat that for a unique race to add to my 40 by 40 list, which is why I signed up for it in the first place :)

Next Saturday is the Trail 5k I ran last year. Three races in October will bring me up to six races towards my 40 by 40 goal. Four months in to my goal with six races is a better place to be than three races in three months. 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The races I've run in 2015:


Month
Race Time

Corn Maze 5k (October)

37:42

3:43:00

37:36
Almost 10 weeks postpartum


1:00:18
almost 6 weeks postpartum
July 5k           

47:44      
38 weeks pregnant
June 5k          

41:19      
34 weeks pregnant
May 5k           

40:05    
29 weeks pregnant
pushed River in the jogger
April 5k         

42:36      
28 weeks pregnant
pushed River in the jogger
March 5k       

35:32      
22 weeks pregnant

33:55      
20 weeks pregnant
January 5k     

33:25      
12 weeks pregnant

My progress towards achieving my 40 by 40 goal:



Date
Event
Distance
Event Type
1.
July
4th of July 5k
5k
Pregnant
2.
August
4 Mile Fun Run
4 miles
Road Race
3.
September
All Terrain
5k
Mixed surface
4.
October
Hill Valley Half
13.1 miles
Cumulative virtual
5.
October
Corn Maze 5k
5k
Corn Maze

No comments:

Post a Comment