Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Thoughts on seasonal decorating

This is the second year we've hung our Christmas lights on the house.

My ideal house would be tastefully decorated, with a few things here or there changing with the seasons. Wreaths on the front door would reflect the current season and we'd hang Christmas lights on the house.

While I have more decorations than I used to (the early years of our marriage we were too poor to buy unnecessary things like decorations), I still don't have very many, and I don't have wreaths for each season.

I think fall and winter are the easiest seasons to decorate for, but this year my fall decorations never came out of the bin and only a few Christmas decorations made it out. But that's ok since all my energy has been focused on getting the house painted. The big stuff is mostly done, so now I'm thinking more about things other than paint.

I find myself waffling back and forth though. I think too many decorations look cluttered, plus you have to dust and keep them all clean. On the other hand, if there's no decorations it looks cold and blah. Finding a good balance is a challenge, especially since my practical side tends to be a bit too strong sometimes.

Do you decorate for the seasons, or do you not even bother?

2 comments:

  1. I'm like you...it seems like a good idea to have seasonal decorations, but it's just too much work to actually follow through with it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. we're still working on hanging pictures on the wall and we've been in our house for 1.5 years. First we need to get furniture to know where things will go and we're working on that still. Hopefully the walls won't be bare forever.

    Personally, I think too much decorating is just more clutter - the exception being Christmas. I like things hanging art on walls, but I'm not a big fan of having something unless it is useful. We already have too much.

    ReplyDelete