Thursday, February 21, 2013

Another reason GAPS is what I need right now

Remember how I said we'd made progress just in the 7 or so weeks we did GAPS before Christmas? We were able to eat things over Christmas and at Disney that usually give us problems, but with fewer problems.

Something else happened too. My cycle regulated enough for this to happen:


Super crazy, right? After all this time (almost 6 years since my last pregnancy, which ended in miscarriage), I'd pretty much given up hope of getting pregnant again. Though I knew in the back of my mind it was possible my body could heal enough for this to happen, I certainly wasn't expecting it or counting on it. And definitely not this soon.

I had my first appointment this morning (after waiting impatiently for 3 weeks) and so far everything looks good. They did an ultrasound to see how far along I am (which I already knew, based on when Mr M was home) and I got to see the heartbeat. I hadn't realized just how important that was to me till I was looking up at the screen and saw that tiny movement. Because of the timing of doctor visits over the years, I've been able to see the heartbeat of each of our babies, even the two that didn't make it. That is something I treasure.

I am still concerned about miscarrying, but praying about it has calmed my fears significantly. And I didn't have the symptoms I'm experiencing now with either previous miscarriage, so I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm 8 1/2 weeks along, so I have a few more weeks before I'll feel like I'm out of the woods. My due date is Sept 29, which means I get to experience the hot and humid summers here while in my 3rd trimester (not looking forward to that one- good thing we have AC!).

Staying on GAPS should ensure my intestines continue to heal and that I get the nutrients I need. Unfortunately, the constant nausea and severe aversion to smells that I'm currently experiencing is making it impossible to stay on GAPS.  I experienced this when I was pregnant with LMS, but it's worse this time around. Mr M took over all cooking duties when I was pregnant with LMS, but unfortunately he's out of the country again (only for a few more months, thankfully).

So I'm reduced to eating as little as I can get away with (things that I can't smell) and letting LMS nuke various gluten free convenience foods for herself. I'm very grateful she's able to do this, and she's loving the independence. It's not great for "family meal time" since I have to leave the room while she's warming up her food and eating it, but it should only be for a few more weeks. The resulting intestinal issues and meltdowns (from eating things she shouldn't) were expected, but not welcome.

The nausea cleared up around the end of the first trimester with LMS, and I'm praying that's the case this time. As soon as the nausea clears up I plan on getting both of us back on the GAPS wagon.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear that the baby is still healthy - even if it means you are feeling a bit worse for the wear. We're praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geez! I take an internet break for a few days and I miss the greatest announcement ever!!! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete