Monday, April 5, 2010

The Great Train Adventure

Here's the long-over-due recap of our train trip:

Monday
We got to the train station two hours early since we weren't sure what traffic would be like, but it was definitely better than being late. The station is an old building with details you just don't see anymore. I love the intricacy of the moulding.




It is starting to look a bit shabby, though.

I think the 'Telegraph' sign is great! The window isn't there anymore, but the sign is.

For some reason, I like this sign too. Maybe it's because I never spent any time around trains or subways (I've ridden subways while traveling abroad, but that's it), but it just has a magical quality to it.

The waiting area even had high-backed benches with lights at the top like you see in movies. LMS had fun playing on them with her lambie.

And reading books to lambie.

We got the smallest room available on the train (aka the cheapest room available), and they really are small- I thought there'd at least be enough space for a couple suitcases, but one suitcase was crowding things. The two seats face each other and there's good knee space between them, and they're nice and wide. The seats fold down into the bottom bunk, the upper bunk folds down from above.

From the door, looking to the left.
From the door, looking straight ahead.
From the door, looking to the right (that's LMS hiding under her pink blanket).
From the door, looking up at the bunk that folds down at night.
My backpack sitting in the only space big enough for a suitcase.
There were hooks for hanging things, as well as a narrow closet (right side of the picture), but I didn't put anything in the closets as they really were too narrow for anything more than a coat or a suit.

When you upgrade your tickets to include a room, you also get three meals a day in the dining car, without worry about the cost of the item. It was great- you just order whatever you want and only worry about the tip. The dining car has booths that line both sides of the aisle and each seats four people. If you have less than that in your group, the servers will seat you with others, which was neat- we got to talk to people from different areas.

Monday night we were seated second of four or five tables of people to arrive, but somehow we got our food last, and our table had the only kids in the room. Since it was 8:30 by the time we were seated, the kids were antsy and tired. We got some dirty looks and overheard some not-so-nice comments, but really, what do you expect at that time of night? I will state here that LMS was not the loudest- the other little girl was definitely the noisy one.

The food tasted good and the portions were generous. I'd checked ahead of time so I figured there'd be at least one gluten free option at breakfast and dinner, lunch might be a bit iffy. I had herb roasted chicken that just fell off the bone, a baked potato, and vegetable medley. LMS had a grilled cheese sandwich, mashed potatoes, and vegetable medley. I also had lemon sorbet for dessert. LMS took one taste and didn't like how tart it was, but I thought it was good.

The bathroom was very similar in design to airplane bathrooms, i.e. tiny and cramped. But they served their purpose.

Back in our room, the chairs had been folded down and the bunk lowered. The beds were narrow and the top was narrower than the bottom, with straps that hook to the ceiling to hold the person in. LMS was supposed to sleep there, but she didn't like the swaying, so she slept with me. I didn't get much sleep that night- I never do with her in my bed, and this bed was just too cramped with both of us in it.

The roomettes give a nice illusion of privacy- walls, doors, windows with curtains, but sound travels! Not that I heard anything I didn't want to, but anytime anybody moved something against the wall next door or talked, you could hear it.

Tuesday
The car was crowded Monday night, but by the time breakfast was over, most in the surrounding rooms had gotten off, so we had peace and quiet, and were able to put the suitcase in the roomette across the aisle.

For breakfast I had a veggie and cheese omelet with potatoes- yummy. LMS had french toast and sausage.

The shower was interesting- you push the button and the water stays on for 30 seconds at a time. It was supposed to be 100 degrees, but it wasn't- it was cold, and never warmed up, so I rinsed off quickly and got out and didn't even think of rinsing off LMS.

Our room was on the top floor, and the sway was rather noticeable depending on the track. This was really only a problem when trying to go from our car to the dining car next door- it felt a bit like trying to get through a gauntlet in one piece.

For lunch I had the vegetarian salad (a greek salad), which was good, but not completely filling. LMS had another grilled cheese sandwich with some potato chips. While we were eating we crossed the Mississippi river. Our server pointed out areas where the flood waters from a year or two ago still haven't completely disappeared, leaving stagnant pools of water and half-submerged trees.

This particular trip would be much prettier in a few more weeks, once everything greens up. It was a bit drab and dreary- winter wasn't quite ready to let go yet.

Iowa and Illinois remind me of Ohio- vast fields with trees or shrubs along the fencelines, old farmhouses scattered here and there.
The small towns we passed through had mostly older homes with faded, peeling paint. A few of the houses had been fixed up and had newer paint. The smaller, shabbier homes were a sharp contrast to the acres of big, blocky polished houses that we encountered as soon as we were within commuting distance of Chicago.

When we arrived at the station in Chicago, we were able to wait in the first class lounge, because we had sleeping accomodations. This was nice! Nice decor, several tvs, complimentary snacks and drinks, and you could check your baggage with an attendant. It also had a peaceful atmosphere- when we left the lounge it was loud and chaotic. Another perk was being led directly to our train when it was time to leave. First class treatment, and definitely the way to go.

On the second leg of the trip, our room, which was the same as the one on the first train, was on the lower floor, which seemed to have less sway, or at least it was less noticeable.

We'd made reservations for dinner while we were still in the lounge, and I picked the earliest time available, so we were eating by the time we left the station. I had a pork loin with apricot sauce, a baked potato and mixed veggies. I also ate the top half of a piece of chocolate chip cheesecake (couldn't eat the bottom because of the cookie crust), which wasn't super smart on my part, but it sure tasted good! LMS had grilled cheese again (no imagination!), but fell asleep half way through. A late night the night before and no nap that day was just too much for her. She didn't have a meltdown though, just laid her head on my lap and fell asleep while I kept eating. She slept through me carrying her downstairs to our room, undressing her and putting jammies on, and putting her on the top bunk.

Wednesday
We slept in a bit. I let LMS sleep as long as she wanted, and since breakfast was 'brunch' due to the scheduled arrival time, the hours were longer, so I wasn't worried about missing breakfast. The bathrooms on this train were a bit more up-to-date, not quite as cramped, more like an rv bathroom than an airplane bathroom. The shower was a lot nicer and even had warm water, so LMS joined me in rinsing off.

For breakfast I had another omelet and potatoes. LMS had french toast again. The menus actually had a good variety, I was just limited by my dietary restrictions, and LMS is an unadventurous 3 year old.

The trip between Chicago and DC was interesting- more fields and lots more trees. As we swept through the countryside, I caught occasional glimpses of crumbling stone walls and chimneys and the occasional forgotten cemetary, its headstones tilted and broken. It was easy to imagine early settlers trying to conquer the land and eke out a living, and it's clear it wasn't an easy life- the underbrush and trees take over so quickly.

The DC station was loud and busy, like Chicago. We waited in the first class lounge again while we waited for our final train to arrive. So nice to have a quiet place to wait.

We took a commuter train for the last leg, which means no sleeping compartments- just seats. I'm sooo glad we went with the rooms on the first two legs of the journey. LMS did not want to stay in her seat- she kept trying to run up and down the aisle. I can't imagine spending two whole days chasing after her, not to mention trying to get her to sleep in a reclined chair- it wouldn't have happened until late, and she'd be tired and cranky the whole trip.

Conclusion
It was a fun adventure and LMS and I both enjoyed it. During the day we watched the countryside, read, and colored. I never did have to pull out the dvd player and movies I'd brought. I'd do it again, as long as I don't have to worry about having a vehicle on the other end.

If we were to do this again with Mr M, we'd definitely have to get one of the bigger rooms. The small room we had worked out well for LMS and I, but would be way too crowded for a third person.

One word of warning: pack light. Not all trains have checked baggage, and the smallest rooms really only have room for one small suitcase. We didn't have a lot of choice since we had to pack enough clothes and such to last us till we could move in to our house (a week and a half after arrival), but it all worked out.

One observation I had was that a lot of the riders are older. Admittedly, I only saw those in the dining car (we never went to the coach cars), but the majority of those who ate in the dining car were retired age couples or small groups, which I found interesting.

And so that journey ended and we started a new adventure in a new house in a new town...

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like it was a fun adventure. And much cooler than your typical flight to a destination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like it was so much fun! I'm sure you're glad you got to do it at least once in your life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what an adventure. It sounds so great to just sit and watch America go by without the chaos of the freeways, etc. However, I'm trying to decide how it would be with my 4 kids...I think it would depend on the day and the moods. Maybe we'll come visit you via train!

    ReplyDelete