Monday, April 26, 2010

Gluten free frog eye salad, part 2

The other day I made a second attempt at gluten free frog eye salad. This one was almost, but not quite, perfect, and I learned a few more things.

The reason it wasn't perfect was because it was too salty. This was due to transcription error, more than anything. Mr. M's mom gave him the recipe for the custard over the phone, but she was guessing on the exact amount of salt- she eyeballs an amount in her palm and throws it in. The guesstimate measure turned out to be a bit too much, so I just need to decrease the amount of salt next time, and it should taste fine.

Some things I learned:

Beat the eggs really well before mixing into the rest of the custard base. Otherwise you end up with bits of cooked egg in your custard.

Use a really fine sieve when rinsing the tapioca pearls, otherwise you'll lose a bunch done the drain.

the two sieves I've used to rinse my tapioca- the left one has mesh that is too far apart

close-up of the larger mesh sieve

the smaller mesh sieve- works great, but the whole sieve is a bit small for rinsing large amounts of anything

I'll post the recipe next time, after I've tried it one more time and made sure it tastes good.

3 comments:

  1. I'm very curious...how did your third attempt at gluten free frog eye salad turn out? If it was a success, I would love for you to post the recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you post the updated frog eye salad recipe? Mine has never turned out perfect either since going gluten free and I'm hoping you have figured it out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can find it at http://1001goals.blogspot.com/2011/11/gluten-free-frog-eye-salad-recipe-with.html, or just follow the link at the end of the post for the egg free option recipe. I edited that link to more accurately reflect that the actual recipe is there; hopefully that helps eliminate some confusion.

      Good luck and hope it turns out yummy!

      Delete