Monday, June 7, 2021

Weekly Mileage #219 and a Horse Riding Activity

River climbing convenient trees while Ocean has his guitar lesson

Monday was Memorial Day, so we all slept in a bit before getting started for the day. Then I dug post holes for the gate at the bottom of the kitchen stairs. I've had it jerry rigged all winter, and I finally had time (and non-frozen ground) to dig the holes for the posts. We had to go to Lowes to get a longer post though. We got a 10' post months ago, but we really needed a 12' post (cut in half) 🤦‍♀️ While I was digging holes, Jeremy was working on the swing set we started last summer/fall. He also had to get more wood and some more attachment thingies, so we had a little date night at the hardware store (we joked about turning into our parents). While we were there, we also got some pegboard so I can hang up my clicker dies so they don't get banged around and dull the edges.

Max helped, a little.

We set the posts in concrete, only to realize we needed another bag. It was too late to get it that day, though, so we half filled the holes and left them. I hadn't gotten the hinges installed either, so I wired the gate to the posts, since we still need the stairs blocked off.

We also all took turns practicing our side kicks. We needed to do 50 on each side before our next lesson and we hadn't done them yet. Max did not approve of our kicking at each other (we were using couch cushions as pads). The kicks definitely made my hips sore. I also took a few minutes to instruct the boys on how to properly do jumping jacks, but I'm not sure how long it'll stick.

he wanted to carry his bear in his shirt, but I convinced him to put it in one of his pockets

much better!

Despite foam rolling and laying on the heating pad Monday evening, I woke up tired and sore, though not as sore as I could have been. I was dragging a bit more than I'd have liked, but did manage to get up and moving and help the boys practice before heading out for our lessons. 

We did in-person lessons again, which were helpful for all. Ocean needs the in-person correction and encouragement (as does Sunshine) and River got some much needed playing time with our teacher, since it's hard to do online, but is something he needs to learn how to do. While Sunshine had her lesson, I took the boys on a short hike in the woods.

When we got home, it was time to buckle down and focus on Pinterest for a bit. I looked up best practices in naming boards and how to easily make 25+ pins in a short amount of time using templates. I need to do some keyword research (I started it, but didn't have time to really focus and dive deep into it), then I can get get my boards established and then start creating pins for my products. First steps towards doing promoted pins (advertising on Pinterest).


That evening we had karate class. We did pushups, which I really struggled with. I just don't have the upper body strength to raise and lower my body from my toes. It was a little easier from my knees, but still challenging. Ocean did better in this class (no laying on the mats in the middle of the class), but still has a ways to go. I realized we need to teach him how to salute the flag and say the Pledge of Allegiance (he has no idea on either count).

Wednesday I took max for a trail run before my accountability call. 

she is just not interested in selfies

Then I made a pegboard to store my clicker dies. Clicker dies are used to punch pattern pieces quickly, easily, and accurately.

I also installed the gate hinges. I was slightly off with the alignment of the bolts, which keeps the gate from swinging freely (a good thing), but also hangs a little crooked (a bad thing). It's still much better than the jerry rigged job of the last few months.

Thursday I did the milk pickup and stopped by Lowes to get the final bag of cement and a couple different hook things for the gate. The latch I thought would work didn't, but we've got a good workaround now.

I made a guitar strap for Ocean, using the same idea I used for River's banjo strap, but adapted to fit the guitar.


I worked some more on the prototypes. I finished the second to last one, but am currently undecided whether it will actually be included in the course. It could be a practice piece, but I'm not sure if it's really needed. I also started the pattern for the final project.

River had his first in-person Activity Days activity, which he was super excited about.

Friday was a narcolepsy day. I felt blah and super tired all day, like struggling to stay awake tired, not just exhausted tired. I went to karate with the family, but that's it.


Ocean was not cooperative

Saturday I went for a trail run with Max a little later in the day than I should have. It was 80*, which is hotter than I like running in. It felt good to run, despite the heat. 

Afterwards I started cutting waxed canvas for a big batch of collecting pockets

That afternoon I took Sunshine and a friend to the ward youth activity. Small groups throughout the day went for trail rides. They all had a lot of fun, and I foresee a lot of the youth asking for riding lessons in the near future. While I waited on the girls, I worked on my to do list (I totally spaced the stake leadership meeting I was supposed to attend via zoom earlier in the day, so I needed to write out all the things that need to be done so I don't forget anything) and ordered more waxed canvas. I need a heavier weight for my buckets. I already ordered more of the lighter weight for the pockets.



Sunshine got her 2nd shot (she got her 1st a few weeks ago) and she and I did our Scout swim checks.


Weekly Mileage 

Monday-                                            3.0 hours outside
Tuesday- 1.01 mile hiked                    .5 hours outside
Wednesday- 2.07 miles hiked             .5 hours outside
Saturday- 2.07 miles hiked                .5 hours outside
       total- 9.40 miles             4.5 hours

2021 totals
102.5 outside hours
175.42 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment