Monday, June 28, 2021

Weekly Mileage #222 and the Kayaking Trip


I didn't forget my frankincense Sunday night (I'm still not sure how I managed to forget it Saturday night- it's a firmly ingrained part of my bedtime routine and I didn't skip any of the other steps). This wasn't the first time I've forgotten something that I shouldn't have, and it is always distressing. I know I have trouble remembering things and I've worked hard to find coping mechanisms to make sure I don't forget things- I use a planner, I have reminders on my phone, I have Sunshine or Jeremy remind me of some things, etc. 

When I forget things despite my precautions it's extra frustrating, as well as just a little scary. I don't want to forget things and I'm worried it will get worse as I get older. I will say though, writing weekly posts here for the last 13 years has helped (I started May 2008, so I recently passed the 13 year mark). I'm able to look back at things I did or said or that the kids or Jeremy did or said. I may not remember them at any given moment, but when I read what I wrote about them, I'm able to recall those instances. It gives me hope that the memories aren't actually gone, they're just buried in the foggy recesses of my brain.

In any case, I slept well and slept in a bit to make up for Saturday night. It made for a slow start to the day, but I felt a lot better than I did on Sunday.

I tried to get some work done, then I went to the lake for kayaking practice with Sunshine and the Scouts.

Tuesday was a rainy morning, so we did music lessons at home, online. Afterwards I did the grocery shopping. In karate class we did legwork, which was squats that left us all with jello legs.

jello cheesecake for Jeremy's cake, German chocolate for mine

Wednesday I woke up a bit wiped out from karate the night before, which is frustrating. It could also be from still trying to catch up on sleep and not eating right. Regardless of the cause, I skipped the morning walk and rested (much to Max's disgust).

little photo bomber ðŸ˜Š

After I took Sunshine to the orthodontist, I made and frosted my birthday cake, then did a little sewing on buckets. Jeremy made his jello cheesecake.

Thursday I dragged myself out of bed and took Max for a walk, then went to wallyworld to get a few things for this weekend's kayak trip. After my accountability call I hemmed up my karate pants finally, then did some laundry and some paperwork catchup for Scouts and finally some more bucket sewing. 

I've been feeling a bit burnt out and stressed out after all the work I've put into my business the last year and all the work I still need to do this summer and my response was to procrastinate and do other things. Not the best or healthiest of responses, but that's what I do.

All this week is leg week in karate, so more squats.

Jeremy and I have our birthdays this week, and the car wished each of us a happy birthday. Like I said last week, it's a lot more high tech than our other cars.



Friday I went for a trail run with Max, packed for the kayaking trip, and worked on more buckets.


In the evening we drove to our campsite on the river.



Saturday we kayaked most of the day. We were driven upriver 14 or 15 miles, then spent the day kayaking back to our campsite.



I ended up in the middle, keeping an eye on the speedier Scouts ahead of me and hanging out with the mid-speed Scouts in the middle. The other Scout leader was in the back with the slower paddlers (one girl barely paddled at all and was content to just float along).

One of the Scouts overshot the small island we stopped at for lunch (not the one pictured above, which was in a slow section), got caught in a current and pulled down stream a bit. I had to wade in, cross the current, grab the kayak, and pull it upstream and across the current again. Moving against the current drained me more than I wanted, which was frustrating.

It was a long day of paddling. The last couple miles the Scouts (and me) were ready to be done.

cool rock I found that split cleanly in half horizontally


We sent all the scouts to their tents at 9:30 because the adults were tired (the Scouts were too, even if they didn't admit it).

a cool rock

river glass, similar to sea glass

Sunday I half expected to wake up exhausted, but while I was tired, I was able to get up and moving with fewer problems than I've had on other days. I credit all the electrolytes and water I drank all day (no dehydration for me) and the fact that I was wearing long pants (quick dry), a long sleeve rash guard, and a big floppy hat- no sunburn for me.



After breakfast we hopped in the river to kayak another 8 miles or so down river to the outfitters. We had two more adults this time. One ended up near me, but behind me most of the time, the other was at the rear. While I wasn't as sore as I thought I'd be, my arms were tired. Sunshine and I both were fishing gloves, which were definitely a good call: they saved our hands from blisters.


I wore the same long clothes I wore on Saturday, though I switched kayaks with Sunshine so she was in the sit-in kayak and I was in the sit-on-top kayak. I ended up with about a 1"x5" strip of sunburned skin on each ankle, where my pants didn't quite meet my water shoes (they were under the shelter of the sit-in kayak on Saturday, so no sunburn then).

raccoon tracks


this was supposed to be a drop of a couple feet, but was barely a blip. disappointing.




When we returned home that afternoon, the boys wanted me to take a picture with them and Max.



Weekly Mileage 

Monday-                                            2.0 hours outside
Thursday-   1.50 miles hiked            0.5 hours outside
Friday-       1.78 miles hiked             5.5 hours outside
Saturday-  14.0 miles kayaked         15.0 hours outside
Sunday-     8.0 miles kayaked           8.0 hours outside
       total- 3.28 miles             31.0 hours

2021 totals
141.5 outside hours
183.49 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment