Monday, October 19, 2020

Weekly Mileage #186 and a New Water Heater

I got a full size relay baton as a medal for the relay I did a couple weeks ago 😂

Monday I finished Friday's course call and put my sewing machine back together. It arrived last week, which turned out to be quicker than if I'd taken it somewhere locally. So far, it's working a lot better.

We had Scouts that evening and Sunshine worked on her physical fitness merit badge (it's not Sunshine's favorite, but it's Eagle required, so we told her she had to do it) and then they did some geocaching for the geocaching merit badge.

Sunshine's doing the sit and reach in the middle

Tuesday I rode my bike, then Sunshine and I got our flu shots. Jeremy got his a few weeks ago and the boys will get theirs next Monday.

I spent some time working on my course outline. We were instructed to use post-its so we can move things around easily as we wrk on the structure. So I put mine on this wall, where it wouldn't be in the way. The boys saw what I was doing and decided to get in on the action. In case you were wondering, my post-its are neatly lined up, the boys' aren't 😉




Wednesday I got a filling replaced (lots of fun) and then jumped on my accountability call while my mouth was still numb.

I worked on more totes and notebooks to list in my shop. I had cut them out awhile ago, but never glued or riveted them. So now I glued everything, pressed my makers' mark first, then sewed the pockets since my machine is working again. I also cut some straps and oiled the veg tan ones in preparation for being riveted to the tote sides. 


Thursday the trails finally dried out enough to go on a trail run with Max. She loved it.



We also had to get our hot water heater replaced. Last week it was running super hot, so when it fritzed out Wednesday, it wasn't unexpected. This happened a year or so ago and they were able to fix it by replacing one of the internal thermostat thingies. The other one they couldn't loosen to replace, and that was the problem this time. The plumber couldn't loosen it this time, either. Considering that it's original to the house (pretty sure), it's 23ish years old, so it had a really good run. Not an expense we wanted, but that's home ownership.

I did some more work on my totes. I riveted ten straps to five totes, four rivets per strap plus mess-ups: about 56-60 rivets all together, all hammered by me, which left me with a sore arm and shoulder. I can see why people opt to sew straps to the body rather than rivet them. I need to experiment with that, but don't have time right now.

Friday was park day and I brought along some notebooks and worked on hand sewing them. I could sew them on the machine, but it's nice to have a project to bring with me sometimes.


We had Ocean's IEP update. It was actually a service plan update, since he's not enrolled at the school. He'll lose eligibility next year when we don't enroll him in public school. In the meantime, we'll keep working on his speech errors.

I had a course feedback call with a friend. Out of the calls I've done so far, she's the closest to my ideal customer, and she had some good insights.

Max has claimed this as her chair. Since it's also the chair she chewed on, I'm not fighting her on it.

We got another large deposit in our account with an odd origination name. I looked it up and apparently it's a refund on our closing costs from when we refinanced our VA loan earlier this year. Apparently that's a benefit of the whole disability thing? We had no idea. We're not complaining, but it was definitely unexpected.


she likes to curl up in this chair in the evenings before going in her crate for the night

I finally got my tool set from China. It hadn't actually shipped before their 8 day national holiday at the beginning of October, so it took a lot longer than I expected. Overall, it looked better than I was afraid it would. There's definitely some changes to be made, which is why I ordered the sample, then I'll place my first big order.

I went through my planned course projects to make sure everything would be used and that I didn't forget anything. I don't want to have extra tools that won't be used. Every set I've seen on Amazon is like that, which is why I've gone through the effort of sourcing my own tool sets for the course. I also tried everything out to make sure they work properly.

Saturday I drove Sunshine to a church stake youth service project at a camp for special needs kids. She got to decorate a barn for Christmas parties for kids with special needs, which she really liked doing (she's at that age where so much isn't to her liking, so I was happy that she actually enjoyed herself). Others were painting and doing other cleanup type stuff. It was socially distant, with small groups, masks, etc. and what I saw looked like it was going well.

Jeremy had drill, so I brought the boys with me and we tried to do some geocaching while we waited for Sunshine to finish. We weren't super successful as there were only urban geocaches to find, and I've realized I don't like searching around, looking for a cache when there's lots of people around. It didn't help that we couldn't find the ones we were looking for...

Sunday was our first week doing larger group sacrament meeting, and we ended up sharing with one of the other wards, due to a miscommunication. oops. Our ward is now meeting in two groups, one one week, the other the next week, and you can view the talks via zoom on the week you stay home.


I found this wreath at Target and I love the colors!

About that Pinterest VA I interviewed last week: I decided to hold off on hiring her until January. I really want to hire her, but she costs 3x what my last one did and I just can't swing the added expense on top of my course materials and tools. I've decided to go off word of mouth for my first launch and keep things a little smaller (still debating capping at 50 or 100) and work the bugs out before re-launching in the spring for a larger group.

I was listening to a podcast and had an idea for another course idea. I now have two more to do after this one: a more advanced leatherwork class with techniques and projects not covered in the first class, and a class for teenagers on how to turn your leatherwork hobby into a profitable business. I'm not sure on the timeline on either of them. It'll really depend on the interest level of those who sign up for my original course. I also still want to do my project of the month club, but that will also depend on the interest level, and can only come after I've launched my course the first time. 

Weekly Mileage
Tuesday- 5.00 miles biked
Thursday- 2.40 miles run and hiked
total- 7.40 miles

2020 totals
35 hikes towards #52hikechallenge
0 kayak miles towards #365milechallenge
181.2 outdoor foot miles towards #365milechallenge
22.50 indoor foot miles towards #365milechallenge
285.0 bike miles towards #365milechallenge
488.70 miles total

No comments:

Post a Comment