Monday, September 14, 2020

Weekly Mileage #181 and the Missing Tooth

selfie with a disposable camera
Monday was Labor Day, so we took the day off school. The weather is finally starting to cool down at night, so I took Oreo for a trail run in the morning, though I didn't start quite as early as I should have. She did well, despite there being a lot of people and their dogs on the trails. We'll definitely do this again.




We finally got the pictures developed from our Green Bank Observatory trip last fall. Electronics aren't allowed in certain areas, so I used a disposable film camera. Definitely a difference in photo quality.

on the observation deck with the Green Bank Telescope in the background


one of the radio telescopes

Sunshine in front of the GBT- that white space covers more than 2 acres!


side view of the GBT

the 40' teaching telescope the Scouts got to use
I reorganized my workspace in the basement. I assembled the wire shelf I'd bought, then moved the white shelf that used to hold toys to the right and loaded most of my leather on the wire shelf. It's much easier to get to my leather now.


A bear came through Sunday night/Monday morning and got into our trash again. If we doubted it was a bear dragging our trash bags into the woods, the giant bear-sized poop he left in our driveway dispelled that idea.

that bear had been eating seeds...

the leaves are starting to change!

Tuesday the local schools started, which means seminary and speech therapy started as well.

so cute!

We've decided to change Oreo's name to Max. While Oreo fit her looks, it didn't fit her personality. We were watching Avatar a few days ago and one of the characters yelled "Max!" and Oreo looked up. We tried it out over the next few days, and Max is her new name. We still slip up sometimes, but it's coming.


Her full name is Mad Max, Scourge of Multi-legged Critters. Mad Max because she gets the zoomies and is quite speedy. Scourge of Multi-legged Critters because she goes after all the bugs. Floor raisins (ants), sky raisins (flies), jalapeƱo sky raisins (giant wasps), and the giant cicadas we have this summer.

The replacement needle plate arrived and I installed it, but it didn't fix the problem. I went through all the troubleshooting suggestions in the manual, but still couldn't get it to work properly.


I went back and forth with the customer service rep for the sewing machine company, but he kept suggesting things that I'd already tried (and said I'd tried). I went through all the trouble shooting suggestions again, but still couldn't fix the machine. I ended up sending off a nasty gram Friday afternoon, calling him out on not reading my emails and giving canned responses. I sent it too late in the day to receive an answer, so I'm not sure what will be the next step.

Friday we had someone come out to check our internet- it's been sooo slow, which is why I haven't been getting my posts up on time- it takes forever to upload the photos. He was able to improve the upload speed a smidge, but our connection in general is still really slow. We've finally decided to bite the bullet and pay an arm and a leg to get Comcast to run a line out to our house.

Friday evening River was playing with his loose tooth in bed, and it was so loose that he was able to pull it right out!


The tooth fairy didn't have two quarters (the going rate for a first tooth loss in our house), so River lucked out with a Sacagewea dollar, courtesy of Jeremy's wallet. Not using cash is a real pain...


Max pictures. It's actually really hard to get good pictures of her, as she's always moving, unless she's asleep.




Weekly Mileage
Monday- 1.75 miles run
Wednesday- 5.00 miles biked
Saturday- 5.00 miles biked
total- 11.75 miles

2020 totals
30 hikes towards #52hikechallenge
0 kayak miles towards #365milechallenge
168.54 outdoor foot miles towards #365milechallenge
22.50 indoor foot miles towards #365milechallenge
260.0 bike miles towards #365milechallenge
451.04 miles total

No comments:

Post a Comment