Monday, June 1, 2020

Weekly Mileage #166 and Insomnia Induced Decisions


My insomnia game has been super strong lately, which was unexpected. I've narrowed the cause down to one of two things. I'm worrying about the 50k I planned on doing on my birthday or I'm eating too many carbs. Honestly, it's probably both. I never sleep well the night before a race, and even though it's still a month out, I think the sheer number of variables involved in this race is causing enough anxiety to ratchet up the insomnia. I fell off the low carb wagon back around Easter, but training for a 50k is not the time to cut back on those carbs.

Last week when I did my unintentional half marathon was a pleasantly cool week with temps in the 50s and 60s. Then the weekend came with temps in the 80s and increased humidity.

Add it all together, and I've moved up my 50k to June 1. Heat and humidity have a huge negative effect on my energy levels, and they're only going to get worse from here on out. I can't handle another month of insomnia and after the race I can get back on the low carb wagon. So I just need to get this done.

Monday I finally finished the last of my travel blog posts. I'm good till the end of July, so now it's time to focus on leather projects.

River asked me to take a picture while he posed 😂

Ocean's face.... he's trying to raise an eyebrow like his brother does

After music lessons on Tuesday the kids and I went for a hike and tried geocaching for the first time. It was fun and definitely something to do again. We found two out of the three we were looking for and there's lots more in the park still to find.

one was a microcache that was a giant spider

another looked like an electrical box on the back of a railing next to the road


Wednesday I just went for a short run to shake things out before my 50k on Monday. I also made a leather notebook as an end of year gift for Ocean's preschool teacher. While I was doing that, I looked out the window and saw this:


Such a creative kiddo!


Thursday I went to the chiropractor and then ran errands for the first time since the middle of March. Kind of weird, kind of itchy twitchy thinking about the germs I was coming in contact with. Thank goodness for hand sanitizer.

A leather project I worked on:

I love the look of the cross stitched seam.


I etched my company name on the bottom of the wood with the GlowForge. I found this pattern online, but it called for a leather bottom and the process to attach it was a bit more involved and time consuming than I'm looking for (time is money and I need to be able to produce items as quickly as possible while still having good results to maximize profits). So I substituted the leather bottom for a wood bottom. I rather like the effect.


I still need to attach the handle, so this isn't quite done yet.


~~~~~

I've been thinking about spending time outside and around people. I find I'm hesitant. Partly because I don't want to get sick, partly because I don't want Ocean to bring home something. This child has had cold after cough after running nose after cold since he could walk. As I mentioned awhile ago, he was on the tail end of a bug when we first started staying home. It cleared up and he hasn't been sick since.

Pretty sure it's the longest time he's ever gone without having some sort of crud. He picks up so many germs because he touches everything and licks his hands, sucks his thumb, etc. I'm rather worried about what he could bring home now. His primary class meets in a room that is used as a nursery by other wards, so there's toys in it. Pretty sure it's been the main source of a lot of the bugs he's had over the years- nursery toys are such a cesspool. If they don't take the toys out when primary classes start meeting again, he'll have to stay with Jeremy or I during the second hour of church.

We don't need that kind of exposure to that kind of germ load. I'm wondering how they're going to handle the toy situation. Even with never-ending efforts to sanitize nursery toys, they're never really clean and they're always getting new germs. And since we're currently in the 3rd time slot in our building, there's two wards worth of kids to get their germs all over everything. It wasn't quite so bad last year when we were in the 1st time slot, but the two years before that were pretty bad.


Weekly Mileage
Tuesday- 1.5 miles hiked
Wednesday- 1.3 miles run and hiked
Saturday- 10.0 miles biked
total- 12.8 miles

2020 totals
21 hikes towards #52hikechallenge
0 kayak miles towards #365milechallenge
115.41 outdoor foot miles towards #365milechallenge
11.00 indoor foot miles towards #365milechallenge
150.0 bike miles towards #365milechallenge
276.41 miles total

No comments:

Post a Comment