Monday, October 28, 2019

Weekly Mileage #135 and the Banjo Concert

foggy morning

It was a super busy week, which I knew it would be, so I took time Saturday evening to write down everything I needed to accomplish in the coming days. I didn't get everything done, but I did get a good percentage of my list accomplished.


Monday started with me calling the pediatrician to see when they could see Ocean. They were able to squeeze him in forty minutes later, which gave us twenty minutes to get ready and out the door (we were both still in our pjs). Ocean's ear had been oozing for almost a week, he was complaining of it hurting, and the ear drops weren't helping. The doctor switched medications, and we were out the door in time for preschool.


While he was at preschool, I went for a run and a hike, then ran some errands. I spent the rest of the week finishing our costumes and accessories (pictures to come later!), working on a talk, working on ornaments for my Etsy shop, cleaning and organizing the basement, and helping River get ready for his first banjo performance.



Wednesday I finally spent some time on my bike. My bum did not appreciate the long hiatus. The last time I rode it was at the beginning of May.

Thursday Ocean had a makeup preschool day, so I squeezed in another hike.

cool spiderweb covered in mist

Friday evening was our ward Trunk or Treat, and I finished our costumes Thursday night, so I wasn't working down to the wire. I'll share more pictures soon.


Saturday Sunshine had an orienteering thing with her Scout troop. While she was at that, my YW counselors and I made and photographed the samples for our fundraiser (we never held it in the spring, so we're squeezing it in now).


Shortly after we arrived home from those activities, my dad stopped in for a weekend visit. He had some training in Maryland during the week, so he took the opportunity to visit us.

We went for a hike to enjoy the fall foliage.



The kids' music teacher had organized a banjo outreach program for the local schools and topped it off with a concert Saturday night. There's not a lot of younger banjo players and she's trying to drum up more interest. The concert was mostly attended by older people, but there were also a few high schoolers.


River and his teacher started things off playing a song, and they were followed by a local lady who was very knowledgeable about the roots of the banjo (west Africa). She's made examples of the various iterations (they were first made of gourds) and played some tunes on them. Super cool! She was followed by a guy who played mostly clawhammer tunes. Jeremy took advantage of the ten minute break to take the kiddos home since it was getting late, but my dad and I stayed for the banjo/guitar/fiddle tunes and the bluegrass band. It was a lot of fun with some great music!

River did a great job and no problem getting up in front of a room full of people to play.

Sunday I spoke in sacrament meeting. It's been a couple years since the last time I did, but I felt less nervous this time, so that's a plus. I think it went well. It had been hanging over my head for a week and a half, so it was nice to finally have it done and check it off my list.

Dad had to leave Sunday afternoon, but it was nice that he had more time to spend with us than he has had on previous visits.

Weekly Mileage
Monday- 1.45 mile trail run
Monday- 1.75 mile hike
Wednesday- 10.00 mile bike ride
Thursday- 2.15 mile hike
Saturday- 1.20 miles hiked
total- 16.65 miles

27 hikes towards #52hikechallenge
2.56 kayak miles towards #365milechallenge
112.38 outdoor foot miles towards #365milechallenge
41.16 indoor foot miles towards #365milechallenge
90.0 bike miles towards #365milechallenge
246.10 miles total

No comments:

Post a Comment