Monday, January 28, 2019

Weekly Mileage #96 and First Sap Boil

bucket full of partially frozen sap

Ocean had his ENT followup this week. His hearing has improved, though his right ear is still lagging behind his left ear. It's only been three weeks though, so he's doing well. His doctor is happy with his progress and he doesn't need to go back in for a checkup until July.



I caught a cold this week, which combined with temps in the teens and twenties Monday and Tuesday and slightly warmer temps the rest of the week, kept me from venturing outside for longer than necessary. I don't mind going outside when it's cold if I'm feeling good, but if I'm not feeling good, it's just not happening.

On the up side, despite having a head cold, my head wasn't nearly as fuzzy as it usually is when I'm sick, so I was able to still get some work done. Bonus for me. The TRS supplement is still working.

I was feeling well enough on Saturday to start boiling sap, but that was really out of necessity. I was running out of buckets. I have five 5 gallon buckets, and four of them had at least 4 gallons of sap in them. The fifth had some sap in it as well, but not as much. It is nice that I don't have to find space in the freezer for all those buckets- the temperatures have been low enough to keep the sap partially frozen, which keeps it from going bad.

It took a lot longer than I wanted to get the fire going well- damp wood will do that, but I was able to get some of the sap boiled down. Last year this time I had the same problem and I said I was going to cover the firewood stack so we wouldn't have this problem again. Well, we had such a wet year that I don't think the wood ever really dried out. And I never covered the stack. This year will be the year, though.

Weekly Mileage
no mileage this week

3 hikes towards #52hikechallenge
0 kayak miles towards #365milechallenge
8.40 foot miles towards #365milechallenge
20.0 bike miles towards #365milechallenge
28.40 miles total

No comments:

Post a Comment