Monday, January 7, 2019

Weekly Mileage #93 and the New Year

getting ready to head to the OR

Bright and early Monday morning I took Ocean to the outpatient surgery center of the hospital to get tubes in his ears. It was the first time any of our kids have had surgery, so it was a bit nerve-wracking, but it all went smoothly. It's a very quick procedure and coming out of the anesthesia took longer than the actual procedure.

all ready- I went into the OR with him and held his hand while the anesthesia took effect, then I had to leave

He hated the eardrops we had to put in morning and night for three days, so I'm really glad we're done with those. Thursday morning he went to preschool for a makeup day and as he climbed out of the car, he was complaining that the car idling next to us was too loud. It wasn't very loud at all, so apparently he's starting to hear things more clearly than he ever has before. His preschool teacher also  mentioned that she didn't have to repeat herself multiple times to get his attention- he responded much more quickly than he has in the past.

they let him walk to the OR

We weren't expecting his ears to clear up and his hearing to improve this quickly, so it's nice to see noticeable progress already. We were hoping he wouldn't be quite so loud once he could hear better, but we're still waiting on that one... :)


Since we were in town, we bundled up and did my last hike of the year for the 52 hike challenge. The rainy morning meant we chose the gravel and board walk bridge trail, since at least it wasn't muddy. I ended up soaked, but Ocean stayed dry in his trail suit under the rain cover of the stroller.

rainy hike

I did a total of 2.66 miles, which brought me to an even 755.0 miles for the year (bike + foot + kayak). I went 1.33 miles up the mountain, then 1.33 back down. After turning around, I decided to run the first mile back down the trail. I was feeling good, I had my running shoes on (my hiking shoes had dried mud on them so I didn't wear them to the hospital), my foot didn't hurt, and it got me down the mountain faster (it was raining harder and harder as the hike went on).

rainy boardwalk

It felt good in the moment, but my foot wasn't super happy the rest of the day- a bit sore and achy, which is to be expected after not running in more than a month.

This year I didn't run the New Years Day 5k. I've spent all my time hiking instead of running, and I'm still trying to get my energy levels back up. I did spend some time with the chainsaw though. That big oak tree we had taken down last spring is still laying where it was dropped. I've called a mobile sawmill about getting it cut into planks (for building a clubhouse on the treehouse) and a mantle for the fireplace, but the trunk lengths need to be cut down to more manageable lengths.


Mr M's back has been giving him a lot of problems lately, so he's not up for it. As tired as I always am, I do like physical work, so I decided to do a little here, a little there. It'll take awhile since the logs are so big, but it'll get done eventually.

I also attached trim and did some sanding on the desk I've been building. It's taken a couple months, like every project, but I'm finally almost done with it.

Wednesday I cleaned and organized the basement. It's been collecting stuff and getting more and more disorganized. There are a couple stacks of bins and boxes for Mr M to sort through still (they've been waiting for him for years), but everything else looks a lot better.

The only problem was that I spent the whole day in the basement, which has a concrete floor under the Pergo flooring, wearing bedroom slippers. My foot was not at all happy. And while I was able to keep moving and get things done, I was exhausted by the time I was done.

I spent the next couple days feeling like crap and realizing I really need to get better at rationing my energy. Intellectually I know this, but I hate leaving a project half done, since there's no guarantee I'll have the time or energy to finish it the next day.

Weekly Mileage
Monday- 2.66 miles hiked and run
total- 2.66 miles (towards 2018 totals)

2019 totals:
0 hikes towards #52hikechallenge
0 kayak miles towards #365milechallenge
foot miles towards #365milechallenge
0 bike miles towards #365milechallenge
miles total

No comments:

Post a Comment