Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Weekly Mileage #53

Snow!

Last week, unlike the previous couple weeks, I didn’t log any official miles. That’s not to say I didn’t do any exercising, though.

Mr M wasn’t feeling well on Monday, so I had to take him to the doctor, which derailed that day’s exercise plans. He had a sore that got infected and the infection spread to his bloodstream, but after some antibiotics he’s feeling a lot better.

Wednesday we finally got some snow- about 5-6”, and I took advantage of Mr M being home (and feeling better) to get a lot of work done. I’ve been trying to buckle down and get some social media stuff set up for one of my businesses (I did the minimum needed last year, and it’s past time to take things to the next level).

River helped Mr M plow-first time we've plowed in 2 years.
We probably could have skipped it since it melted off pretty fast.

Thursday is our usual hiking day, but we were car-less while the CRV was getting some maintenance done, so we were stuck at home. I could have gotten on the treadmill or the bike, but I wanted to be ready to go as soon as the shop called, and that wouldn’t be the case if I was in the middle of a workout and all sweaty. So naturally, the car wasn’t done until 3.

I thought I could squeeze a hike in Friday morning after dropping Sunshine off at her co-op, but after running some errands the boys and I were done. They've been fighting low-grade bugs for a while now and they were being grumpier than usual that morning. We went home, ate some lunch, and the boys went down for naps while I plopped down in front of my laptop to get more work done.

Saturday I made up for the week of inactivity. The weather was great: cool, but not cold, and sunny. The snow had mostly melted by then, but the ground wasn’t super soggy.

I grabbed the loppers and garden saw and went to work de-junglifiying our driveway. The last time I did this was seven years ago, when we first bought the house, and it was way over-due. Saplings had sprung up close to the driveway and tree branches were overhanging the driveway, both of which meant large vehicles (like our RV) got scratched by the branches.

It didn’t take long to figure out just why we’ve ignored this task for so long. Even after pulling out the extension ladder I couldn’t get all the branches with the loppers or garden saw- they were too large in diameter and higher than I felt comfortable with. So Mr M was the lucky person to climb the ladder with the chainsaw. That’s what he gets for being more than a foot taller than me- his reach is so much longer.

We’ll miss the feeling of driving through a jungle in the summer (it’s especially strong at night), but we won’t miss the sound of branches scraping the RV as we go up or down the driveway.

pile of branches and small trees, ready to be chipped

While the chainsaw was out, Mr M cut down a pine tree that’s in the way of our future carport. It was tall, but the only branches were at the very top, so there wasn’t as great a chance of it getting hung up on other trees or damaging them. There’s just one tree left in the carport site, but we’ll have a tree company come and take that one down, since it’s very tall, dead, and has a lot of branches that will make a clean take down difficult.
 
we ran out of time while clearing up, so the pile of branches on the trailer needs to be added to the other pile of branches so they can all be chipped


I didn’t have my Garmin on, but I should have. I did lots of walking- first hauling branches and small trees to a pile by the chicken coop, where they’ll eventually be run through a wood chipper. Then more walking back and forth as I relocated lengths of the pine tree from our parking area to the other side of the driveway circle. Thankfully the trunk pieces were almost completely round and had no branches, so I was able to roll them across- no carrying heavy logs for me, thankyouverymuch.

pine logs moved over by the tree Mr M took down in the fall
once he cuts that one to length we'll need to rent a wood splitter

Sunshine helped haul branches roll logs and the boys each managed to roll a couple of the smaller trunk pieces.


Even though we didn’t track it, we all got a lot of exercise on Saturday and slept very well that night. Despite not tracking my mileage, I know I walked at least two miles. It's half a mile to check all the maple and black walnut spiles, and since I finally got around to pulling the spiles (maples were bone dry, but one of the black walnuts was dripping sap- we definitely need to do tubing next year to prolong our season), I did that circuit. Add all the walking back and forth I did, and it was at least two miles total, so that's what I'll record for the day.

Weekly Mileage
Friday- 2.00 miles walked
    total-2.00 miles

3 hikes towards #52hikechallenge
49.60 foot miles towards #365milechallenge
45.00 bike miles towards #365milechallenge

No comments:

Post a Comment