Monday, December 14, 2015

December 5k Recap

we ran under this giant American flag at the start of the race

Saturday I ran the same December 5k I ran last year. I really like this small race because it benefits several veteran's groups. Always a good cause, in my mind. In addition to being for a good cause, the race itself is a nice mix of paved road, bike path, and gravel trail. Joggers are welcome, though I left the kiddos with Mr M. If I need to, Bob would do great on this course, but Phil might have a harder time because of the gravel trails.

The weather was gorgeous: sunny and in the upper 60's. Unusual for this time of year, but nice for running. The conditions were great, but since I didn't spend any time on the treadmill last week I was not as prepared as I'd like.

The lack of treadmill time was intentional- with our unseasonably warm weather last week I decided to take advantage of it and build and paint some shelves for Sunshine's room (more on that later this week or next). I just didn't have the time to do both and days warm enough to paint outside aren't usually plentiful this time of year. So painting won out.

I was also suffering from a lack of sleep. This was partly intentional as I stayed up late several nights last week prepping and painting Sunshine's room (this goes hand in hand with the shelves I'm building). It was unintentional when Ocean decided it was a good idea to wake up Saturday morning, an hour before my alarm, wanting to eat. No more sleep for me at that point.

And I'm coming off my 5th glutening in a month. My poor body is hating me right now. I came across this article last week and it resonated so much with me. Cross contamination and poor labeling are the worst.

So even though this race was my PR for 2014, it wasn't for 2015. The race was a bit short, and I completed 3.01 miles in 34:16. I still need to add some hill work and increase my mileage so I can maintain my pace throughout the race (and get more sleep).
1st mile- 10:28
2nd mile- 11:49
3rd mile- 12:06
I ran (ok, completed- I didn't run any of the 4th of July race since it was 2 weeks before my due date) at least one race each month this year. That's one goal accomplished! This was the 15th race of the year and the 9th towards my 40 by 40 goal.

I'm working on the Army Virtual Marathon still- my goal is to complete it by New Year's Eve. I don't double dip my runs, so I didn't add any mileage towards that last week, but I will hit the treadmill this week. Finishing this race will bring me to 16 races in 2015 and 10 races completed out of the 40 needed for my 40 by 40 goal.

2015 Races


Month
Race Time

December 5k
34:16

Turkey Trot (November)
33:30

Trail Half (November)
3:35:17
Actually 13.61 miles
38:12

Corn Maze 5k (October)
37:42
Ran without stopping
3:43:00

37:36
Almost 10 weeks postpartum
1:00:18
almost 6 weeks postpartum
July 5k           
47:44      
38 weeks pregnant
June 5k          
41:19      
34 weeks pregnant
May 5k           

40:05    
29 weeks pregnant
pushed River in the jogger
April 5k         

42:36      
28 weeks pregnant
pushed River in the jogger
March 5k       
35:32      
22 weeks pregnant
33:55      
20 weeks pregnant
January 5k     
33:25      
12 weeks pregnant

40 by 40 Races



Date
Event
Distance
Event Type
1.
July
4th of July 5k
5k
Pregnant
2.
August
4 Mile Fun Run
4 miles
Road Race
3.
September
All Terrain
5k
Mixed surface
4.
October
Hill Valley Half
13.1 miles
Cumulative virtual
5.
October
Corn Maze 5k
5k
Corn Maze
6.
October
Kilted Trail 5k
5k
Kilted race
7.
November
Trail Half
13.6 miles
Trail Half
8.
November
Turkey Trot
5k
Road Race
9.
December
Veteran’s 5k
5k
Mixed surface

No comments:

Post a Comment