Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Finding the Silver Lining

I was talking with a couple friends about our miscarriages and one of them mentioned learning something from her miscarriage.

I'd never really thought about learning something from my miscarriages.

However, it didn't take very long to think of something I learned from each miscarriage- I'd just never articulated it as such.

The first miscarriage showed me that I could actually get pregnant. We'd been trying for several years at that point without success, so even though we lost the baby, we had finally gotten pregnant. A year later, I was pregnant with Little Miss Sunshine.

The second miscarriage (when LMS was just over a year old) helped me be patient while waiting for The Little Mister to join us. I had a hard time with the second miscarriage and decided I'd rather not get pregnant at all than have another miscarriage. And for almost 6 years I didn't get pregnant, and that was ok. If we had gone that long without anything at all happening, it would have been very frustrating and discouraging. Instead, I didn't really stress about not getting pregnant and focused on trying to get healthy and stay busy. It was during this time that we discovered the celiac and started working through all the food sensitivities that I've developed over the years.

Although the timeline of growing our family has not been what we thought it would be, even the bumps along the way have helped us move forward. Have you had a similar experience?

No comments:

Post a Comment