Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Homeschooling with a Newborn

TLM sleeping on his favorite spot- my lap

The last couple weeks before TLM was born we didn't do much bookwork, but LMS still went to her classes. Cutting back on bookwork allowed me to focus on finishing my woodworking projects, since I knew I wouldn't be able to do much once TLM was born.

After TLM was born, LMS continued going to her classes and we continued to gloss over the bookwork. I did allow LMS to binge on Magic School Bus episodes- "it's science, mommy!"- while TLM and I slept on the couch.

So we never stopped doing schoolwork, we just scaled way back on the bookwork. All those classes we signed up LMS for meant she had stuff to keep her occupied and she was continuing to learn.

Classes LMS continued to attend throughout the time before and after TLM's birth:
fiddle lessons = music
Irish class = music, international culture/history, foreign language
nature class = science, phys. ed., life skills (knowing how to build a fire and a shelter and what plants are edible are very important life skills, IMO)
soccer = phys. ed
Irish dance = phys. ed

Stuff we did at home:
Magic School Bus = science
History of the World cd in the car while driving to activities and classes = history
math workbook = math
also a little spelling and handwriting from her workbooks
creative projects like a book of recipes that she wrote (includes such gems as "bear stew" and "pumpkin soup").
read books = reading, vocabulary, grammar

----
Over the last couple weeks we've been easing back into our full-on bookwork schedule. It's definitely a lot easier with our homeschool cupboard/homeschool station in the living room. I can get LMS started on something, then sit on the couch and nurse TLM while she works on stuff and I keep an eye on her. Then she can bring over a book and I can read to her while still nursing him on the couch.

I have the feeling the real challenge will come when The Little Mister becomes mobile. Trying to keep him out of stuff while we do schoolwork could prove quite distracting. So for now I'm enjoying the current status quo :)

No comments:

Post a Comment