Thursday, October 31, 2013

Halloween 5k

I wasn't planning on doing the Halloween race this year, but Mr M had drill and LMS wanted to do it, so I decided I'd walk it with TLM in the carrier.

Last year LMS and I wore matching outfits rather than costumes. This year I planned Halloween costumes that could also be worn in the race. Definitely a good plan on my part.

LMS wore her Madeline costume 

TLM and I wore our tree & owl costume. I made the tree two years ago and the owl this year.

LMS finished in 49:48, I was just behind her at 50:00. This doesn't accurately reflect the fact that for the majority of the race I was holding her hand and encouraging, and at times gently pulling her along. She did decide to start the race at a run, though, and went a decent distance before stopping to walk, at which point I caught up to her.

I walked the whole thing, though it was a fast walk. LMS didn't appreciate my speed toward the end, she kept wanting me to slow down. TLM slept the whole time. I figured he would- so far every time I've put him in the carrier he's conked right out and stayed asleep even through me removing him and putting him back in his car seat.
I convinced LMS to jog to the finish line, which is why she finished ahead of me :)

I haven't trained at all since the Four Miler the last weekend of August, unless you count the 45 minutes I spent on the treadmill the day before TLM was born (more on that in another post), and I felt good during the race. Afterwards my pelvic area was a bit sore- I've been so sedentary lately that the muscles just aren't used to being used, plus they're still recovering from pushing out The Little Mister :)  They got sore a week or so ago after I ran a bunch of errands one afternoon, so I was expecting the soreness.

I won the Best Costume! Having an actual baby in the owl won me huge bonus points :) It was a pretty nice prize, too: a bluetooth-enabled wireless speaker donated by one of the race sponsors. I'm looking forward to using it at our homeschool station.

No comments:

Post a Comment