Tuesday, December 11, 2012

GAPS Intro Week 5

Read why we're doing GAPS here.
Read about our GAPS Intro Week 1 here.
Read about our GAPS Intro Week 2 here.
Read about our GAPS Intro Week 3 here.
Read about our GAPS Intro Week 4 here.

I still struggled with eating enough, but since I didn't realize what was going on till the end of week 4/beginning of week 5 this wasn't surprising.

We added homemade applesauce (so yummy!), cucumbers, Boston lettuce, raw apples, and honey.

We did more juicing, adding beets, apples, pears, and celery to our carrot juice. I only add small amounts of beet though. I learned my lesson when we were newlyweds years ago and I was doing some juicing. I don't remember what else I put in, but I do know there was an entire beet in the mix. I drank the juice then got in my car to go to class. A few blocks later, I had to pull over and I puked all over the fence surrounding the soccer fields. Needless to say, I was scarred for life by that experience. I think I may have stopped juicing after that? Can't quite remember, but I wouldn't be surprised.

I've been roasting an organic pastured chicken each week, and it's so easy. Rinse the chicken, then sprinkle sea salt, pepper, and Herbamare on all sides. I cook it for about 2 hours at 350. I start it breast side down for half an hour, turn it over and cover with foil for another half hour, then uncover and cook for about 1 more hour (till the internal temperature is at 180. The skin gets nice and crispy and brown and tastes sooo good. Healthy fats, right? It's a big change from before, when just the thought of eating the skin was a bit icky. Even LMS, who has never liked skin and such before likes it.

After roasting, I deglaze the roasting pan and add the juices to the crockpot with the carcass, which makes the best tasting broth. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment