Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Little Miss Sunshine's glasses



In January I took LMS back to eye doctor for a checkup. I was more than willing to do so, since she'd been complaining that her left eye was blurry, even with her glasses on. I was concerned that she needed her prescription changed already.

The eye doctor checked her eyes, then we discussed how her eyes are doing. He said that LMS noticing that her left eye is blurry is a good thing, since before she wasn't even seeing out of that eye. The eye patches are re-training her brain to use her left eye, so now she can actually see out of both eyes, even if one of them is blurry.

I hadn't realized that she wasn't using her left eye before- I just figured everything was blurry in that eye. So I'm really glad we went in and discussed the situation.

The eye doctor also said that the prescription in her left eye isn't as strong as it will be eventually, but we have to gradually increase it as she gets used to seeing out of both eyes. So we'll go back in May and again at the end of summer before school starts.

I went home and thought about what the eye doctor had said and thought about some of the things LMS has done.

The major thing that stood out is her clinginess when doing active things. I just chalked it up to normal clinginess, but I think the problem was that her depth perception is off because of only being able to see with one eye. She was ok walking during soccer, but she was always very hesitant about the running part. She was the same with swimming and ice skating. I'm really curious to see if she does better when soccer starts up again in a few weeks. I'm not expecting huge improvement since her vision is still blurry, but hopefully it helps. And we'll probably have to get some prescription swim goggles for her so she can feel more secure in the water.

We tried out a dance/gymnastics class this week and she did really well in it. I was a bit concerned about her falling over or crashing into things, but that wasn't the case at all. I'm not sure if we'll actually take the class just yet as there may be a schedule conflict. She had a lot of fun, though, so we'll see what we can work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment