Monday, November 19, 2018

Weekly Mileage #86 and Return to Running

I spent some quality time with my bike this week. My bum is still sore, but I only need to ride 10 miles a week for the rest of the year to reach 365 for the year.

Wednesday I had my followup with my orthopedic doc. My foot is still healing well and I got the ok to slowly start adding in some running. Yay!

So naturally Thursday I spent some time on the treadmill. I walked for a mile, then slowly started jogging, but only managed about 30 seconds of running before the power went out. It flickered on and off a few times before staying off for the next hour or so. Such a letdown! Running felt pretty good for the 30 seconds I managed, but I had to wait till the power came back on to finish my workout. I walked some more to warm up again, then slowly ran a quarter mile, then walked some more to cool down.


Saturday my friend C and I finally managed to get our schedules to line up (we've been trying for the last month) and went for a walk. It was a hilly walk, so we definitely got a workout. I slowly ran another quarter mile, most of it down a hill, though the last bit was uphill. I've got some sore muscles, but it feels good to have them.


Wednesday Sunshine was supposed to have her nature class campout, but it got canceled because of bad weather. The forecast called for 100% chance of snow around 2am, followed by freezing rain. If it was just snow, it would have been ok, but the freezing rain was the deal breaker. So they stayed long enough to cook dinner over a fire and do the whole campfire thing, and then all the kids went home. The next morning we woke up to freezing rain and ice.

Definitely glad we didn't have to drive in that icy nastiness. Areas of the state further north received quite a bit of snow, which would have been nice, but we just had sleet, rain, and power outages. Not nearly as fun.



Before all the bad weather though, after we dropped off Sunshine, the boys and I took a hike up the canyon from where she was. We've done the hike before, but I wanted to see what it was like in the fall. We missed the bright colors of the changing leaves, but it was still pretty. And much wetter than I anticipated. All the rain we've gotten (it has been such a wet year) had the water running higher than the last time we did this hike. In fact some of the stepping stones have been washed down stream by the flash floods that have occurred in the last couple months.

the arrows are pointing to the same tree, the circles are around the same stand of three trees
the stepping stones should be in front of the three trees, but the only one left is at River's elbow

I brought the jogger so Ocean could ride in it, and he was much less whiny than he had been the last few hikes. Unfortunately, I forgot just how rocky the trail was, and it was a challenge to maneuver the  jogger over some of them. River took over pushing the jogger on the less rocky portions, so he and Ocean were happy. Definitely one of our better hikes.




* I'm not sure if the video loaded properly, so I'll check back Monday afternoon and update it if it doesn't work. So if it doesn't work, check back later!

Weekly Mileage
Tuesday- 15.00 miles biked
Wednesday- 1.50 miles hiked with jogger
Thursday- 2.10 miles walked on the treadmill
Friday- 10.00 miles biked
Saturday- 3.52 miles outside hills with C
total- 32.12 miles

30 hikes towards #52hikechallenge
 2.14 kayak miles towards #365milechallenge
338.39 foot miles towards #365milechallenge
310.00 bike miles towards #365milechallenge
650.53 miles total

No comments:

Post a Comment