Monday, April 23, 2012

Pink twirly dress

The new twirly dress

The old twirly dress (pic taken a year ago)

LMS has LOVED this dress that she's had for at least two years. I bought it before we moved out here, so I know it's at least that old. It was a bit big for her then, but since she's grown so slowly the last couple years, she was able to keep wearing it. Unfortunately, it's gotten too tight and short, and she got paint on it somehow. On the other hand, it means she's finally overcoming the damage from the celiac disease and is getting the nutrients she needs so she can grow (yay!).

We both felt that she needed a new twirly dress, so we headed off to JoAnns to buy some fabric. I originally planned to use the old dress to make a new one since I like the style. While there, though, we saw a cute sample dress that looked fairly easy. We bought the pattern to make it and the fabric and went home and got started.


As the pattern says, it is easy to sew.  It only took a few hours to complete, and I think I spent more time pinning pieces together than sewing. Next time I go to JoAnn's I'm getting more fabric to make another dress for LMS- they're great for summer!


I used a stiff cotton that has a seersucker look to it, though I don't think it's real seersucker. I wasn't able to iron the seams and hems because of the seersucker texture, which made hemming the dress a little more tedious. I like the colors and patterns, but the fabric doesn't drape well because of the stiffness- the dress turned out poofier than I intended.


The only thing I did different from the pattern was to add some pink tulle to the bottom, just like her last twirly dress had.


LMS was posing herself for the photos- she had certain ideas about how she wanted to stand :)


LMS loves that she has a pink twirly dress (not purple like the last one- I keep trying to convince her it was a pinky-purple, but she's not going for it). I'm pleased with how it turned out and how quickly it came together.

No comments:

Post a Comment