Wednesday, October 6, 2010

What do you do when you sit in a car for 7 days?

First, make sure it's not 7 days in a row (which it wasn't, thank goodness).

Second, have things to keep the kiddo busy. We brought the dvd player, but she only watched a couple movies. She preferred to play with her little princess dolls. You know the ones? (I'm not actually a fan of little plastic toys with lots of pieces, but she plays with them all the time, so they're keeping her engaged. The only pieces she's lost are Belle's little tiny shoes- everybody else's are painted on.)
We bought a couple new ones for the trip, so I think now she's got Aurora, Cinderella, Belle, Snow White, and Ariel. (she keeps looking for more at the store, but we haven't seen any other princesses). In any case, she's got a great imagination and will play with them for hours on end.

Third, have something to keep the driver occupied so she doesn't zone out and fall asleep.

I can't listen to music while driving long distances because it puts me to sleep. I listen to books on tape instead. I listened to:

The Warrior Heir
The Wizard Heir
The Dragon Heir
(all by Cinda Williams Chima, I highly recommend her books)

The Magician's Nephew
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
The Horse and His Boy
Prince Caspian
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
and most of The Silver Chair
(I still need to listen to The Last Battle to finish off the Chronicles of Narnia, by CS Lewis, of course)

I've read and listened to the three books by Cinda Chima several times, but not often enough to zone out too badly while listening to them.

I've never actually read the Chronicles of Narnia- I just never got around to it. The Magician's Nephew was a bit slow-going, but once I got through that one the rest kept me more interested.

How do you stay awake on roadtrips?

No comments:

Post a Comment