Monday, March 19, 2018

Weekly Mileage #52

Sunshine found tiny little flowers that you can suck a drop of nectar out of

Like the week before, I rode my bike twice last week. I'm sticking with 5 miles each for a bit longer- I'm still feeling the lack of fitness. Thursday we stayed home all day, waiting for a very special delivery (more on that in my next post), that was, of course, delivered two hours after the stated delivery window.

starting our hike with a choo choo train, as one does

Friday Sunshine started a new session at her co-op, and she's taking classes all four periods this time (she's just done two classes in each of the last two sessions). But her second and third hour classes were canceled because the teachers were out of town (they'll be made up at the end of the session), so we had three and a half hours between the end of her first class and the beginning of her fourth class. I'd thought about going home and coming back, but that was more driving than I wanted to do. Instead, we went for a hike and had a picnic lunch.

checking out the frog pond- the tadpoles were very good at hiding, but we saw them when they moved

I restrained myself and allowed the kids to stop and explore as we hiked. I can be a bit too goal-oriented on our hikes, though I've been working on it. Really, we need to have hiking days and exploring days. Hiking days we do some exploring while hiking, while on exploring days we do some hiking while exploring.

cute kiddos!

Getting back to our hike, we checked out the frog ponds and saw some tadpoles, which I didn't think would happen. It's been cold lately, but maybe the warm weather before our current cold snap was enough for them to start growing. A visit to this park is never complete without a stop by the giant poplar trunk (which sadly is looking very worse for the wear).


After that we hit the trails and hiked about a mile and a half. The boys and I hiked this trail a few months ago, but this was Sunshine's first time. I keep forgetting how expansive the trail system is, so we don't come very often. The boys and I can start hiking here after we drop off Sunshine at her co-op, but then Sunshine misses out on both the exploring and the hiking, so I need to figure something out.

one final choo choo train on the way back to the car
After our hike we went to the Monticello visitor's center to use the bathroom (there's not one at the park), and then went down to the discovery room on the lower level to kill some more time. Everyone had fun, but the play food and fireplace occupied the boys for a lot longer than I thought it would. They kept making stew, dishing it out, eating it, and then making more. We ate a lot of stew :)



I didn't squeeze a run in on Saturday because I was too busy playing with what was delivered on Thursday. So much to do, so little time.

Weekly Mileage
Monday- 5 miles on the bike
Wednesday- 5 miles on the bike
Friday- 1.50 miles hiked
    total-11.50 miles

3 hikes towards #52hikechallenge
47.60 foot miles towards #365milechallenge
45.00 bike miles towards #365milechallenge

No comments:

Post a Comment