Thursday, May 8, 2014

Paper Shredder Cover {Stash-buster Project}

Our shredder was hiding in the basement bathroom for the longest time, but out of site = out of mind, so no shredding actually got done. In an effort to make the shredder more accessible, yet hide a bit of its ugliness, I decided to build a wood box to put it in. Yes, I've built several wood boxes lately. They're so useful, it's hard not to.

Anyway, I ended up building a box that was big enough to hold the shredder and a small trash can for the envelopes and such that come with the junk mail.

Like the last two stash-buster projects I've posted (here and here), this project was made using wood scraps (3/4" oak plywood in this case) that were sitting around.

I used my Kreg jig to attach boards together to make each of the sides, then used the Kreg jig to attach the sides to each other and to the scrap of plywood on the bottom. I wasn't going for a perfect look, so I didn't mind that the boards weren't lined up completely flat.


After I finished the construction portion, it was time to paint the box. I had some more fun layering paint, this time using Pure White on top of Country Gray Annie Sloan chalk paint. The Country Gray label is misleading as I think it's tan, not gray, but the store was out of Paris Gray so I decided to give the Country Gray a try. I don't love the color though it does improve with the addition of dark wax.

I gave the wood a quick sanding, then applied two coats of Minwax dark paste wax. The dark wax turned the white paint a brownish color, making it look weathered, which is what I was going for.


As I was applying the wax I realized I should have made some sort of label to paint on one side to add some interest. I'm not sure what exactly though. The box is kind of an odd shape, so not your standard apple or milk crate. And since I've already waxed it, I'm not sure how well more paint would stick. I like it as is, for now.


The shredder and trash can fit just right.


I haven't quite decided where it's going to stay. I had intended to put it in the living room, next to the homeschool cupboard, but the box turned out a bit bigger than I thought it would and it doesn't really fit in that space. I've got it in the library for now while I decide where it will fit best. I'm also debating adding handles and small caster wheels, but I think those will depend on where it ends up living.

1 comment: