Monday, May 16, 2016

10k Kayak Race Recap


Yep, Saturday Sunshine and I participated in a 10k kayak race. This is one of the races I was really looking forward to including in my 40 by 40 goal, but I didn't think I'd be able to do it this year. It's a point to point race, which means shuttles have to be arranged, which can be a problem if Mr M is working like he was this past Saturday. My original idea was to include this race, a triathlon, biathlon, etc, in my goal but I've had to abandon the triathlon and biathlon idea since I just don't have the time for the swimming and biking that I'd need to do to prepare properly.

trying out our rental kayak

Fortuitously, I happened to check the race website about two weeks ago and discovered that a shuttle was, in fact, being offered (it hadn't in previous years). There was also a link for a local river company that was offering cheap boat rentals for the morning. That settled it- I was going to participate in the kayak race.

Never mind that I hadn't been in a kayak in years......

Sunshine yawning as we waited for the start of the race

Since Mr M had to work I had to arrange for a babysitter for the kiddos, but only the boys ended up hanging out with her. I realized the race would be an excellent opportunity for Sunshine and I to have a mother-daughter outing since it'd been too long since we last had one.

first heat starting

There were long skinny racing kayaks, short stubby white water kayaks, recreational/fishing kayaks, tandem kayaks (sit-in and sit on top), and canoes. Such a fun mix of boats and people. Ages ranged from kiddos out with their parents to grandmas and grandpas out for a morning paddle. Once River and Ocean are a couple years older (and can sit still for an hour or so) they can come out with us.

The weather was great. We've had rain almost every day for the last month, so it was super nice to have sunshine that morning. It was a little cool, but as long as you stayed dry it wasn't bad :) However, there was some white pollen/plant crap/something floating around and my eyes were gritty, itching, and watering the entire time. Other racers mentioned the pollen as well. The one up-side of it was that it made it super easy to see where the current was- white crap just sitting still on the surface meant the water was still as well.

waiting for our heat to start

Sunshine loved the rapids! This stretch of river was fairly calm- only class 1s and two class 2s, but Sunshine milked them for all they were worth. We're going to have to take her white water rafting one of these days. She paddled most of the way, though she did take some breaks. I paddled the whole way without any problems other than tired arms.

the finish was right after the second class 2 rapids, which added a bit of difficulty, but wasn't too bad

I had planned on just taking an easy, leisurely pace, but I should have known better. That just doesn't work for me, as I've seen multiple times in road races. I'm too competitive for my own good. Not that I'm competitive with others really, I just hate to go slow and don't want to be last. Since I wasn't planning on racing, we went in the second heat. Despite that, we finished third in our division (tandem kayak). So next time we're starting in the first heat. Our time from the first heat's start was about 1hr 55min, so I think our actual time was about an hour and a half. The winner (in a racing kayak) finished in 48 minutes- much faster than us.

the people running the race are very low-tech and at first thought we placed first, 
though we actually placed third

Our rented tandem kayak performed well enough, but I do wonder how much difference the body style makes in speed. The kayak was long, heavy, and clunky, so definitely not the speediest boat on the water.

All the rain we've received meant the river was high, and all the regulars said the finish times would be fast as a result. Not that the river was running fast (it wasn't), but it was a lot easier to go over rocks that normally wouldn't be submerged.

Sunshine and I had fun, though she didn't appreciate sitting in the water that splashed into our non-self-bailing kayak. I can definitely see the benefit of a self-bailer, as well as having seats that are suspended a bit, rather than just molded plastic seats integrated into the boat. Good to know as we look for kayaks to buy. We've wanted to do so for awhile now, and I think we might get more serious in our search. The boys are too young right now, but Mr M and I can take turns taking Sunshine out on local reservoirs and rivers. And we're both looking forward to next year's race.

22nd race towards my 40 by 40 goal



Date
Event
Distance
Event Type
1.
July 2015
4th of July 5k
5k
Pregnant
2.
August
4 Mile Fun Run
4 miles
Road Race
3.
September
All Terrain
5k
Mixed surface
4.
October
Hill Valley Half
13.1 miles
Virtual half marathon
5.
October
Corn Maze 5k
5k
Corn Maze
6.
October
Kilted Trail 5k
5k
Kilted race
7.
November
Trail Half
13.6 miles
Trail Half
8.
November
Turkey Trot
5k
Road Race
9.
December
Veteran’s 5k
5k
Mixed surface
10.
December
Army Virtual Marathon
26.23 miles
Virtual marathon
11.
January 2016
New Year’s Day 5k
5k
Road race
12.
February
Frostbite 5k
5k
Cross country race
13.
February
Mud Run
4.8 miles
Mud run
14.
March
4k Walk
4k
Walk
15.
March
March 5k
5k
Road race
16.
March
Pi Day Virtual 5k
5k
Virtual 5k Walk
17.
March
10 mile race
Not applicable
Water stop volunteer
18.
March
Obstacle Race
5k
Obstacle run
19.
April
Glow Run
5k
Glow Run, 1st of 2 races in 12 hours
20.
April
April 5k
5k
Pushing jogger, 2nd of 2 races in 12 hours
21.
April
Evening Run
5k
Evening run
22.
May
10k Kayak Race
10k
Kayak race

No comments:

Post a Comment